1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Cheap grill.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, May 21, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I am looking for a cheap grill (by the standards of many here probably) at around $200. I was interested in a charmglo from Home Depot but found nothing but terrible reviews and horror stories of the gas lines catching fire or the knob assembly melting so that the owner had to scramble to shut the gas off at the tank. My FIL has one so I'm going to have to warn him, but I guess I won't be going with that brand.

Thoughts?

2. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

We went through this whole thing not to long ago, basically in the end we spent closer to $325-350 (grill plus tank). The cheaper stuff didn't get hot enough, was poorly designed and/or built, didn't offer the features we wanted (we really wanted a side burner...but we live in a hurricane area, so the ability to cook then was a consideration), etc.

Even then I purchased a grill from Walmart and I'm happy with it, it cooks burgers/dogs and steaks just fine. It doesn't quite get as hot as I would like (it gets up to about 500-550 pretty easily, anything more and it struggles), I'm going to try out a few tricks to help that out.

3. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I paid less than $200 with cover and grill "tool" set at Walmart, it is a uni flame just like... http://hometheaterlounge.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=219

They put the thing together for me too. It did not come with a tank so if you don't have one, figure that expense into your budget, I think a new tank is $40 ish and then refils are around $15. I have had it since early March / late Feb and I love it. The side burner is very handy ( never had one before) and the 3 burners get up to 500 - 600 pretty quickly. It has the cast grills which hold heat really well and do a great job searing meat. I am already about half way through my second tank!

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Is charcoal an option? The Weber grills start at around $100.

5. CJ

I already have two LP tanks so I'm good to go there. I'll take a look at walmart and may scope out a kenmore grill too.

6. CJ

No, I am fully aware that charcoal is the "right" way to grill but I just have no desire to go there. LP only.

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

:) There is no right and wrong, CJ. Everyone likes it different.

8. CJ

LOL, I know some people would disagree with that, but you are correct of course. There are some NICE charcoal grills in that price range but I think I'll stick with gas. I guess I'll just go look at some more and see which ones look like they're well made.

9. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I bought a pretty small grill, one of the Weber Q series, which is more than enough for me and my wife, and OK when we have company (which is rare :)). You're probably looking for something bigger. If it'll work for you though, it got mostly good reviews everywhere.

http://www.weber.com/q/

The cutesy website is slightly annoying.

10. I'd go with all stainless, and scope out Target's and Walmart type stores which have built display models. Pick one of then out and wait for them to get kicked around a bit. Then ask for a manager and offer to take the damaged unit off his hands for $199. :)
    That worked for us.

11. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

CJ...as in the other thread...I've had this grill a couple of weeks and love it...and for the price it's awesome.

J

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

CJ I ended up getting the $199 Brinkmann at Wally World ..they put it together and it seems pretty well built.

I bought the GooGone Stainless cleaner/protector stuff and sprayed down and buffed all the stainless to help avoid oxidation. I also bought a can of PAM for grilling to coat the sealed cast iron grills.

0003995351611_215X215.jpg

13. CJ

That was the other one I'm looking at. I'm stunned at the charmglow that multiple people complain of parts melting. Talk about a fatal flaw!

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I couldn't find any good website that actually tested and reviewed grill...what sites did you find??

15. cjd

cjd New Member

Weber consistently gets very good (if not the top) ratings from places that simply look at how well the grills work (even-ness, all that good stuff). Their entire line. No other manufacturer comes close till you get into the expensive stuff. So, I'd find the best price on a Weber that does what you want, and leave it at that.

The magazine that most intrigued me re: grill ratings was Cooks Illustrated. They'll whip up ten variants on a recipe to see if you really DO need whole milk, or if you can get away with 2% or skim. And then about 4 "try this to get skim to work" variations. And... They're crazy, but their results are real. :) So I trust them in that respect. And they prefer Weber.

C

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I always recommend Weber. I have two of them and absolutely love them.

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Weber is a great grill...as long as you are wanting to increase you're budget a $100+ I'd go for a Weber too...

18. CJ

Yeah, I think the webers are just going to be out of my range. To get one with the area I'd need when we entertain would be $400-$500 probably. Same with Dukane, Jenn Air etc.

Alfer, I think I did a search on charmglow reviews or something and found someone saying that something had melted. Then there were a decent handful of "OMG me too" types of responses and discussion on how to handle it. I'm sure there's a grill forum out there somewhere.

19. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

There are, but most "grill enthusiasts" don't use gas and don't use a $200 grill. ;)

Andrew
    So what's the best sub $100 HTIB?

20. CJ

Exactly. I'm Joe 6pack when it comes to grills.