1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Cheapest HDTV capable FP?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by NathanP, Jun 5, 2007.

1. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Hi guys.. for some reason I thought that all DLP FP's are HDTV capable.. I think I am wrong. Would you guys be able to enlighten me and suggest some cheap, yet HDTV capable units? Less than $1000?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

If you mean able to take an HDTV signal then most new digital FPs will, even the 480p one. They can take a 480, 720, or 1080 signal they'll just display it in 480p. I'd look at Optoma and Infocus to start with as they provide consistent value. You could even look for an Optoma HD70 and go 720p. It was $999 MSRP so look around.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

What size? Most sets today have HD tuners built in..if they don't you need to connect the TV to an HD source...simple as that.

You won't find many (if any) DLP's for $1000 though...there will be plenty of LCD sets available for that price though.

oops....

disregard..didn't notice you were chasing down a FP
    .... :oops:

4. CJ

They have the HD70 at Visual Apex for $850. Its a 720p DLP and I've seen it in action.

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

6. CJ

Nathan, before you do this, have you watched a DLP for a while? I cannot own a single-chip DLP in any current form. I'm far too susceptible to rainbows. I purchased a "budget" DLP projector and was only able to hold on to it for 6 months and then I could just no longer do it.

7. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

other than on black and white movies, or fast moving high contrast text, i never even notice a rainbow.

agreed though he ought to see one first...

8. CJ

I think rainbows must partially be a physiological issue. Some people simply cannot see them, some simply can't NOT see them, though there are groups in between who only see them rarely and/or aren't bothered by them at all.

9. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

agreed

i dont see them at all during normal viewing.

i can make myself see them by rapidly panning my head while watching. easiest to do when watching B&W content.

10. CJ

I can actually see them coming off the machine. If I'm in a conference room seated at 90 degrees to the projector and I look from straight ahead to looking at the screen. Whoooeee. Its bad.

11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I have the same problem, DLP rainbows drive me nuts. OTOH, my wife can't see them at all.

12. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Tinme for some 101.. What exactly is a rainbow? Got an example?

I've purposely never been a critical viewer/listener.. which is one reason I'm going so cheap.

13. Eric

Eric Active Member

Simplest explanation....rainbows are color artifacts you can see on DLP systems. Since the color on DLP is created by shooting white light through a spinning multi-colored disk (timing is everything), many people see these rainbows on DLP. they're especially pronounced during fast motion and black and white images. Best way to see if you're bothered by them is to go to a store and watch a few DLP sets. Dart your eyes side to side quickly. You'll probably see them then. So you'll know what they are at least. Then just watch for a while, see if you notice them regularly and if they bother you.

14. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Do cheap DLP projectors = more rainbows?

15. Eric

Eric Active Member

Not necessarily. Perhaps to some extent. You'd have to do some digging to really get in to the specs of any particular projector. Things like the speed the color wheel turns and number of color segments on the wheel play a big role in rainbows. IMHO, the person watching plays the biggest role. Some people are simply more susceptible to seeing them. Your first step should be to go watch some DLP and see if you're bothered by them or not. If you do see them, start doing some research into color wheel speed and segments. Or if you're really bothered, start looking for some cheaper LCD projectors.

16. CJ

The largest factors are # of color wheel segments and wheel speed. I don't think the quality of processing factors into it so I THINK a person is equally likely to see rainbows on a $1,500 5x DLP as they are on a $10,000 5x DLP.

17. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Well, I'll go to BB and look at some.. I'm kind of freaked, I always thouht DLP was so much better. But heck, if fI need to, I'll buy LCD. It's cheaper anyway.

Anyone care to briefly describe the pros and cons between LCD and DLP? I already know all about CRT.. Had one a few years back

18. Eric

Eric Active Member

Don't take my word as gospel, but I think the major advantage of DLP is it's ability to produce black and various levels of black much better than LCD. Other than that, just let your eyes be the judge.

19. Alfer

Alfer New Member

From CNET HDTV World:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-4.html?tag=arw

20. NathanP

NathanP New Member

I might have to think about getting an LCD instead.