1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Children of Men

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, May 22, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Just finished watching this. AMAZING movie. Great story if not a little scary. I'd like to start a discussion thread if anyone is interested but I don't really want to talk to myself. ;)

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Rented it, wish I could get me money back. It did nothing for me. Acting was average, story was unique but way over hyped for what it was.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I thopught it was a great thinking SCi-fi where they mixed in some action scenes without turning the movie into an action flick. Michael Caine deserved an Oscar nom for these.

Max

4. hgroff

hgroff New Member

Cj, I like the movie as well. In fact strangely I thought about this movie for several days after watching it. Driving around town, "now if you take the kids away for 18 years what would things be like, add in global warming and coastal flooding to cause mass Migration and what do things look like?" I see the wealthy still wealthy, so car manufacturers are still making new cars, and technology continues to increase, but I also see a whole level of society lost. No schools, no toy manufacturers, no sugary cereals, no saturday morning cartoons, or advertising for kids, just about anything that caters to kids will no longer be needed! Millions will have to find other work. then theres the fact that no body will be alive in a hundred years so live for today and not tomorrow mentality crosses all domains. interesting huh....... bleak yes, dark ideas blossum.....

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I liked it, too. I have a thing for near-term science fiction--despite its star, I thought Minority Report was incredible, too.

- Steve

6. CJ

Ditto, though your apparent definition of near term scares the living shit out of me :shock:

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yep. 20-50 years in the future. Grounded in a reality that we can recognize, with a few key differences...

- Steve

8. CJ

OK, so one of the things I wanted to talk about was the dogs and cats. I think there was some symbolism there but I was wondering what you guys thought. I mean, it would be obvious that pets would probably be turned wild as society crumbled but it still required an effort by the director to have that element in the story. I think it either symbolized that man was no better than animals and/or that the animals were actually more free than man. Thoughts?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Really liked it as well. The camerawork was astounding, particularly the scene of the attack on the vehicle (There's a special feature on this scene on the DVD). I also thought the dogs may have filled the void of no children. Didn't the older woman carry one around the bombed out buildings near the end?

10. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

It ain't so bad. I do it all the time. Usually becaukse I can't find anyone dumb enough to listen.

11. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

A tough, brutal film - far more than I anticipated from the reviews I'd read before seeing it that called it uplifting, inspired, etc. I found the humor a helpful respite and relief from the almost non-stop dreariness and anxiety and violence. Relentless, even.

Huge props to set design - I really appreciated the newspaper pages covering the windows when Julian and Theo meet for the first time. There's almost too much there for one viewing, as there are incredible details in scene after scene amidst the chaos and despair.

And obviously the camerawork in the car attack scene was unusual and very effective.

Anyone else catch the continual focus on Theo's feet? He was needing shoes constantly, stepped on glass, etc. I'm sure this was just to emphasize the way our society takes something as banal as a comfortable pair of shoes can really make running around a dirty slum THAT much more difficult.

This felt a bit like "The Fugitive" set in 2007 Iraq - but it's London in 2027, if I could do the movie a disservice and come up with just a 5-second Hollywood story pitch for COM.

The score I thought was also effective, by John Tavener - a British composer of one of the pieces done at Princess Di's funeral, IIRC. (The church choir I'm in has done one or two of his pieces over the years).

12. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

I liked it too but probably more for the cinematography...that was just freakin' amazing!

The story was bleak...very bleak and the whole "near-term" thing resonates deeply with me.

Like Steve, I too really dug Minority Report and I really have no problems with it's star. Celebrities are what they are.

13. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Can't believe I missed this thread. Here's what I wrote about this incredible film a while back at HTT.

I've put Children of Men in my top of 5 films from last year. Part thriller, political potboiler, chase film, dystopian war drama, COM is hard to categorize. After I saw COM it really stuck with me I thought about it for weeks (usually my gauge for how much a film affects me) and was contemplating a return visit to the theater when I found out that all I had to do was wait a few weeks for the DVD release.

There were some who complained that COM really just boiled down to being a "chase movie". While this maybe true it one hell of a chase movie. It poses many questions doesn't give a lot of answers and has a fairly open ending. It's not a tidy package and that what I enjoyed about it. It trusts the audience to use your brain and fill in the answers for yourself.

The other part of COM that really blew me away was the technical part of the film. I thought Pan's Labyrinth was an excellent looking film but COM really deserved the Cinematography Oscar. COM is shot in a very gritty almost documentary style. It has very, very long uncut takes and uses no close ups. The war parts of the film are some of the most realistic I've ever seen put to film.

-EJ

14. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom New Member

It was an ok movie but way over hyped and I personally would have liked a little more closure from the ending. I'm not opposed to open endings but this was one film where I wanted to know more of what happened. It also did a very poor job of explaining the different political groups like the Fish (?) and how they all interacted.

CJ,

2 ways to interpret the pets issue are that either people don't want pets because children are the driving force behind pets, or that people don't want pets in a world where there are no children. I personally don't agree with either of these. Many parents buy pets for children but end up being responsible for them. So those people may stop having pets. I can't see the people who have pets for companionship abandoning them just because there are no children. If anything I could see those people turning more to pets for companionship and love in the absence of kids.

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Allen's comments come closeest to describing my own feelings though like Andrew, I felt that it never quite hit the mark. Specifically, I feel the story needed to be tightened up a bit.

That said, it was a very decent film, certainly far better than the usual Hollywood drivel.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

When I was in college, a close friend of mine and his wife got a dog which they named SC, for "Surrogate Child."

'nuff said?

17. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

My wife and I got a dog before we had kids. She still jokes that the dog was our "trial child".

18. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I believe the ending was like that quite intentionally because they did not want so much a solid ending, they just wanted to leave you thinking there was hope for the human race.

Max

19. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

First of all this was the first movie I watched sans SVS, with IB. At reference level. A major HFS! It scared the bejesus out of me many times.. Oh my goodness, I love my IB!

This movie had damn near everything everything for me. An original story (!!), a vicious and interesting backdrop against which the main story happened, humor, a very, very powerful message, and a flying pig. I thought the acting was so good that I didn't even notice it. The only bad thing was that the accents sometimes made the dialogue hard to understand.I'm watching it again now and paying attention to details. Fantastic, and as is the cinematography. How in hell did they do that birthing sequence? It certainly looked real, except for the lack of goo, although her water had broken much earlier. Sweet effect though.
    I had no problem with the ending. Happy endings are stories that haven't finished yet. :shrug:

20. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Nice description Arthur. I too feel the acting was first-rate.