1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Chips on DVDs could prevent theft

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Michael M, May 11, 2007.

1. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

link

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Wow but I have to wonder if there will be any legitimate buyers who suffer problems from malfunctions or improper usage?

I would bet early on there will be quite few problems and I also bet someone on E-bay will be selling deactivated discs in no time flat. :)

Max

3. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Sounds fine untill the don't activate mine and I get home and it doesn't work. Or if it gets cloudy with age

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

This technology can be used to limit the number of disc views as well as to prevent copies and to read a player's ROM to make sure it is a licensed player. PPV discs are entirely possible with this.

5. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Preventing copies I don't care about. PPV discs are another matter. Tom don't play that game.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Ditto, but I don't worry about this as much as I used to and I'm still trying to worry even less. If the product is too limiting for me, I won't buy it.

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I didn't use to worry about PPV schemes since I thought that enthusiasts and consumers would outright reject formats that cost the consumer more and did not offer any other video or audio advantage.

I don't think that is the case anymore and happen to think that the studios have received the message that they can tell us "take it or leave it", and enough will take it and allow them to continue doing business on their terms instead of allowing enthusiasts a voice.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Perhaps. BTW, which is worse, these chips on DVD...

Or these

[​IMG]

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

FYI, no picture showing up!

10. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Are they sure this will reduce theft? It doesn't actually make it any more difficult to steal the DVD, it just makes it unplayable.

11. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

Ditto