1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Chris D or other herb gardeners

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 4, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Not THAT herb. I am planting an herb garden and I know Chris D does a lot of cooking with home grown ingredients. In my flower garden, I planted two sage plants. I'm wondering if these are the same sage as the herb sage. They were probably sold as purple salvia and I THINK they have larger leaves and denser, darker purple flower spikes than what I'm finding on line for salvia officinalis (the herb plant). Am I right in thinking this is not the same sage I want to cook with?

What I planted as a flower (purple salvia)

Salvia.jpg

salvia officinalis

[​IMG]

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

If you're tryin to make brownies, you've got it all wrong.... ;)

Pete

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Purple sage is probably the strongest variety. I prefer to use pineapple sage or white sage for cooking. But yes, your sage is sage.

4. CJ

Thanks David, I may try to find some of those varieties instead then, though I think some varieties are not perennial here because of the winters...

5. cjd

cjd New Member

We actually don't have any Sage 'cause it's not a preferred flavor. :) Oregano, chives, parsley, cilantro (and the oregano is taking over the lawn - I love it! Smells so good when I mow...)

Nice flowers on those. Which reminds me, we really need to get Lavender going.

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

7. CJ

Is cilantro perennial here or do you plant it every year. To start with my goal was really to only plant perennial herbs just so I don't have to worry about it every year. I may plant some lavender too. I have oregano, chives, 3 verities of parsley, sweet marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and tarragon.

8. cjd

cjd New Member

parsley and cilantro are not perennials but they can be self-seeding. We cook with enough of both that it's worth planting.

The buds on chives are absolutely delicious (when they're small marble-sized, 1/4" to 1/2", and not opening up yet)

C

9. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I for some reason thought cilantro was the leave from a jalapeno plant.

10. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Damn, came in way to late for a weed joke.