1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Clean Car freaks recipes

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Jerry Pease, May 17, 2007.

1. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

I have always been a clean freak with my car. I have seen some very clean cars and I thought it might be a good idea to share tips and or recipes.

In florida we have this bug called lovebug http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug

They swarm our roads, highways and interstates by the millions more like gazillions. So having your car covered with this damn things is a daily problem. The reason why they are problem is because their splatter etches/pits your car finish if left more than 48hrs. Additionally with the sun these things are almost as hard as 5 minute epoxy. Get my drift? Very hard to remove and it ruins the finish.

Anyway, the lovebugs and I are at war. I live out in the country. I can't even drive down my driveway and hit these damn things.

They are almost the most time consuming/hardest damn thing to clean. I have tried everything. I even bought a pressure washer that removed paint very easily but fail to remove the damn dried up bug.

Up until last week I learned a new trick from a couple good ol' florida cracker boys. The best way to remove lovebug or any bugs of the grill or windshield is to use drier sheets i.e. bounce

Wet your car where the bugs are located
    Wet a couple of drier sheets and use it as a rag
    and rinse off the bugs.

The softener on the drier sheet soften the bugs immediately making wiping them off without having to use hardly any energy.

And most importantly it doesn't harm your paint.

Post your secrets.

2. Jerry Pease

3. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Dryer sheets are way too rough for a car finish, even a 'light' wipe with one will leave behind fine scratches in the paint (read: swirl marks), many people don't really mind that, if so it sounds like a great idea.

If your anal about keeping a glass smooth finish then some detailing spray and/or bug remover and some micro-fibre cloths will be a much better choice.

4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I spray a good coating of PAM cooking spray on the car before we hit the road. Wash bugs off promptly.

My neighbor uses WD40 in a similar way and swears it doesn't hurt the paint. As always, YMMV.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Crisco here. I'm old school.

6. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Most things won't 'harm' the paint, automotive paint is some very tough stuff when it comes to chemicals. It does scratch fairly easily (as most paints do). But WD40 is going to strip any wax off the paint and leave it exposed to things that can harm it like polluted rain, hard water, the sun (but that's not an immediate thing obviously), even more bugs if they don't get cleaned up right away, bird droppings, etc.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

So I'm guessing your car comes out nice and brown and crispy after a long drive?? :wink: :lol:

8. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Once the love bugs are caked on the car, use your wife's old nylons (take them off her first) wet them down and proceed to wash the bug guts off. It works great and doesn't scratch the paint.

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

So Michael are you a sheer or fishnet wearin guy? :wink:

10. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I'd tell you, but you'd scream foul. :lol:

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

12. Denton

This will give you an idea...

[​IMG]

:x

13. Jerry Pease

to bad it is dark and you can see the windshield. But that would be everyday for me x3. Wife car, business cargo van and my pickup truck.

14. cjd

cjd New Member

I just keep driving until I have a new bug-colored car. Problem solved!

15. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

16. Denton

Visited my folks on Mother's Day. I-95 was thick with bugs. Far worse than the photo shows. (BTW, that photo was located on the web). The damn things stink to high heaven. Even caring for my Murano promptly left some damage to the paint.

Screens are often placed over the front of the car for protection. But I can't find one locally. I've seen cars overheat when the bugs interfere with air flow over the radiator. Ugh. :x

17. Jerry Pease

I have been told the dryer sheets will not harm the finish. It is not anymore abrasive than some of the bug cloth removing towels that are sold.

I just started using them last week and I have not seen any evidence. I am very picky about swirls so I am going to monitor the situation very closely.

The process you describe is the one I had been using but it would take a long time and 1hr or so on just one car. That is to slow. Our vehicles look like the one posted.

18. Jerry Pease

specially when wet.

19. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

I don't touch my paint with anything but good quality micro fibre. Almost everything makes swirl marks, you can polish them out if you want though.

20. Jerry Pease

anyone uses rain x? I am in between rain x and car wax. I can't make up my mind. My problem with rain x it doesn't last that long. Anyone?