Cleaning Pet's Teeth

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Tom R S 4, May 31, 2007.

1. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Today after work I dropped my two cats off at the vet's to have their teeth cleaned. I really hate this for multiple reasons, but the main one is how I feel about doing this to my cats. It's a very traumatic experience for them, and every time they (or humans) go under anesthesia there's a chance they won't wake up, even more so for older cats.

I haven't tried giving them anything to minimize the trips they need to make to get their teeth cleaned, but I'm going to start doing so very quickly. I know of treats that help, and I also know of an additive to their water that helps. The additive to their water is the easiest route, but I'm looking for the experiences of other pet owners here before I make a decision. What do you guys do?

2. cjd

cjd New Member

Our vet really walloped our one cat last time, so he's not doing a cleaning again!

They generally don't need the cleaning though (even our meezer, which is somewhat surprising I suppose). They eat mostly dry food with low (and probably soon, no) grain. Plain water.

C

3. Tom R S 4

My cats have always had exclusively dry food - Iams - and water. Obviously I need to do something differently.

4. cjd

cjd New Member

Eh. Iams is decent. But there's still a lotta grain in it. :)

Sometimes it's the cats, not the food.

C

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

6. Tom R S 4

I'm more concerned about melamine than grain, honestly. Perhaps I should look into switching foods, but I don't know.

7. Tom R S 4

I've got some packs of Orbit, but somehow I think I would have difficulty getting my cats to chew it. Even if they did, they'd probably just spit the chewed up pieces on the carpet or in a chair somewhere. Either that or they'd be walking around with balloons coming out of their butts.

8. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I just give my cats Purina One. They need the one with the hairball formula. My cats are obsessive compulsive cleaners and use to hack up hairballs all the time.

9. Jeff

Jeff New Member

10. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

I've been there Tom. The one (and probably only) day I had my cat's teeth cleaned I worried all day.

Stefan

11. Tom R S 4

The Aquadent is what the vet showed me yesterday.
    Yeah, I know the feeling. Believe me.
    I'll look into that. It also helps clean their teeth?

12. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Hills Prescription Diet T/D (i think) is one that is supposed to work well for teeth.
    Nothing beats brushing but with cats that is no easy task. I recently lost a cat that had kidney failure related to bad dental problems. I've been much more aware of this stuff after that. Just like people, pets can really develop severe health problems due to dental issues.

Jeff