1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Coaxial drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Mike B, May 27, 2007.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I am now on my second permutation of these - :D

Well not exactly, if you count all the mobile speakers that incorporate this design, but for the focus of this discussion consider only "stationary" designs.

When I was still in high school, my friend's older brother had a house, wife and kids as well as a kick ass stereo. Top end Sansui electronics and a pair of beautiful large DIY speaks that were an "end table" design. 4 cu-ft easily and he indicated that he used a 12" coaxial driver. It remains one of the best systems I have heard.

Don't know which one he used, but I remember that they were real popular as bare drivers in the electronics catalogs (Allied, Layfayette, Olson) of the times. Some had these gracefully curved die cast alum frames and by and large they looked pretty good. This was 35 years ago.

Recently Adire did the HE 8.1, 10.1, 12.1 series that were well received, and if Dan Wiggins thought the design had merits, then at least I am in good company - :D

So, I am a fanboy and I know that David and Larry have heard these too. Anybody else? Especially you old guys?

What did you think, what do you remember? I am convinced that the "point source" concept is a good one. What has been your experiance?

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

A coaxial design that is still considered one of the best, is that used in some of the the older Tannoys.

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Yep, Tannoy was and is one of the very best. My heart skips a beat whenever I think of how good the Dimension speakers sound to me. http://www.tannoy.com/DimensionOverview

Coax drivers rproduce some of the best quality sound available because they provide the benefits of a single-driver system like perfect acoustic alignment (a "point source") while overcoming some of their shortfalls like limited frequency response.

4. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

A friend of mine used 3 vintage Altec coaxials (804's? I can't remember the model) in his home screening room for 35mm films, they sounded fantastic even with a less than ideal amplifier. I'm trying to talk him into a HTitB so that I can pry those drivers out of him :)

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Good ole' Pete, always thinking about the other guy. :lol: :lol:

6. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

EV Altec also Richard Allen makes a fullrange 12" driver.

If I may say, coaxial is great wat to integrate a wideband driver and a tweeter without having lobbing issues. However there are some fullrange drivers that perform as well and also some wideband drivers that can accomdate a tweeter farily well.

JBL made a coaxial tweeter that could be put in front of any wideband driver; I just can't remember the model.

7. TerryR

TerryR Member

I ended up with KEF Reference speakers a while back, much to my surprise. I was pretty much deciding between a Vandersteen or Thiel model, but listened to the KEFs on a lark and was sold. They just sounded correct to me.

Anybody know the general difference between KEF's UniQ method/driver approach and Tannoys?

8. TimB

TimB New Member

Piega's use a coaxial dome tweeter and planar midrange, to pretty good effect.