1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Complete Matrix Trilogy - HD DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Michael, May 17, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Taking some comments I made over at HTT and creating a new thread here:

Some initial impressions.

The video is an obvious improvement from the DVD. I watched the training scene and the scene where Morpheus is being interrogated all the way to the end. It still amazes me to see high action HD without any compression artifacts! You get so used to seeing macroblocking on cable/satellite/OTA that it is a pleasant surprise to have a smooth, clean picture even during high action/particle movement!

The audio is great. The DVD that I have (the original Matrix) had a very hyped up soundtrack, including some VERY heavy handed bass (IMO). The TrueHD mix is more subtle and I found myself hearing some of the nuances (think simple foley work like cloth rubbing when people move) that I did not pick up on before. This subtle but clear presentation of sound provides an overall more immersive experience as you are allowed to let yourself escape into the movie. The smoother mix also allows one to appreciate the music alot more! This is not an in your face "show off" type sound mix. Although I will say they certainly shook the room with the subwoofer near the end of the film when Neo flexes the walls!

All in all, a great addition to for those who love The Matrix (or its sequels) and want the best respresentation for their home viewing.

It has been a long time, but I am hyped about finding time to sit down and watch all of the movies again. It is far too seldom now that I really get excited about enjoying the benefits of my HT and it is wonderful to have that sort of anticipation again!

=================================

Additional Notes:
    This received a 5 Star Audio and Video rating from High-Def Digest.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/matrix_ct.html

The IME feature is pretty cool. It is not a single running commentary, but appears to have several people commenting on different aspects of the film at different times. Sometimes it is just an audio overlay, and other times a PIP screen pops up with someone discussing the movie or showing some part of the film making process related to what is currently on screen.

There are also several commentaries, but I did not check them out yet.

For those of you keeping track at home:

136 minutes:
    lossless audio
    4 commentary tracks
    IME (including PIP)
    Theatrical trailers and TV spots
    1 music videos
    2 English soundtracks, 1 French and 1 Spanish soundtrack
    Documentary Gallery: 7 featurettes
    3 hours of "music revisited" (41 tracks)

1 30 GB HD DVD

The disc also includes a code so you can download "The Animatrix" from XBox Live! A nice bonus!

2. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Is this out yet? I was at CC today, but since they are hit/miss with next gen stuff it doesn't really mean much.

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

It is officially out on the 22nd.

I got it a bit early from the WB store. I pre-ordered this and Planet Earth with expedited shipping and received each well before the release date.

4. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Heh, I kept wondering if you were Michael P. Now I know. You were incognito over here. ;)

5. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Lol...the studio's who make a big deal over stores releasing products early are sending out products early. Need a head scratching icon. ;)

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

ROFL.

Search engines are too effective now and I didn't want my wife googling me and finding out how I really spend my days. :D

7. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Nice move!

8. brianca

brianca New Member

But did they fix the green tint? ;)

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Nope.

Technology hasn't advanced far enough just yet.

10. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Try freezing the discs and your cables, that might help. If not, unplug your green component cable, that will really do the trick. :lol:

11. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

UPS shows my discs being here in ATL!! Will have them tomorrow!

12. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Really? My dvd ultimate collection disc had a LOT less green in it than my original disc. I would be surprised if the HD version wasn't at least as good about the green.

Can't wait for the BD's to come out.

13. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Maybe the BDs will remove all of the green tint and add a blue one instead. 8)

14. Michael,

Thanks for the review.
    What gear did you watch the HD-DVDs with?

15. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Try freezing the discs and your cables, that might help. If not, unplug your green component cable, that will really do the trick. :lol:[/quote]

No..no...use a red and blue marker on the disc instead of a green one. That will balance the color out.

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I have the Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player using the analog audio outputs and component out (1080i). The analog outputs are connected to an Outlaw 990 pre/pro with analog bypass so I can take advantage of the lossless audio.

The video is connected to a 720p DLP front projector on a 10 foot wide screen.

Speakers are Rocket RS 1000 L/R, RSC200 Center and RSS300 surrounds. Front channels driven by Proceed HPA 3.

17. Thanks Michael.
    It must be a blast to watch movies on a screen of that size! :)

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

It is!

It is just as nice to play video games on a big ol' screen!

19. Can you configure, or have you tried, the Toshi player to output at your native res of your PJ?

20. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

No.

There were issues with the early firmware that made 720p a bad choice. I simply have not gone back to try it out since they resolved those problems.