1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Considering a third lens

Discussion in 'The Photography Lounge' started by Chris Slade, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

I currently have the 7-14mm 2.8 and the 40-150 2.8

I like fast glass, and think I'll add something in between these two lenses as a kind of general all around lens. I would assume the new lens will be on the camera often. Long lens for hockey and water skiing shots. Wide lens for indoor mechanical work photos.

Think the 25mm 1.8 or 35mm.

In the back of my mind I am wondering if I should have a macro capable lens.

CJ do you have these lenses in your kit?

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Macro is a different type of photography. I've played around with it a bit and it can be fun. But it takes time, thought and effort to get good results, which is why I have never posted any of my macro shots here or on any of the photo forums. :oops:

3. Chris Slade

Dan I agree, and I have no real macro photography goals or desires, I was just thinking about giving myself options. I don't want ring flashes and and ton of kit jsut for macro that I might never do. I am really enjoying take shots though and really looking forward to some action shots on the lake this season.

4. Chris Slade

I forgot CJ is visiting Mickey! Facebook reminded me!

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I have the 25mm f/1.8. It might be my favorite lens.

6. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

i had an equivalent Nikon lens...it to was brought on many vacations in the past.

7. Chris Slade

25mm 1.8 would be a good choice I think. My favorite lens on a Canon crop was 50mm 1.8 good in low light/indoors and great when you want shallow DOF.

The more things change the more they stay the same I guess.

8. Chris Slade

Both Olympus and Panasonic (1.8 and 1.4) make lenses that would do the trick. If I go this route I'll simply pick the more affordable lens.