1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Contemporary bluegrass

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by chad, May 8, 2007.

1. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Ok, so I heard Smoothie Song on the radio many many times and then I picked up the Best of Nickle Creek cd /dvd set and while I like it, I was hoping for something with a. less vocals and b. more modern. Any thoughts on who I can check out for this?

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I like "The Mountain" by Steve Earle, although there are plenty of excellent vocals on it. Check out "The Company We Keep" by Del McCoury.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

I'm not sure where this fits on the scale of a. to b., but I really like The Grascals. You can sample them on iTunes.

Viva Las Vegas with the Queen of Country Music is a real treat.

They are outstanding live (saw them open for Dolly.)

- Steve

4. Steve Tillman

Steve Tillman New Member

One of my all time favorites is "Mike Auldridge Dobro". It's an older album, but it has some good instrumental blugrass. There are are some great players on the album. Linda Ronstadt, Ricky Skaggs, Vasser Clements and David Bromberg all make guest appearances.

cheers

---tillman

5. chad

Thanks guys, I will keep them in mind next time I am out and about. I have seen Ricky Skaggs a few times in concert and enjoy him quite a bit. Steve Earl, I have heard him on the radio before and he is pretty good, but, is he the guy / group that does Copperhead Road? I enjoy the song but my God they play it to death on "my" radio station.

Ok, so work is slow today. I'm listening to my "new" John Butler Trio cd a lot today. It kind of goes from blue grassesque sounds to almost reggae. It's pretty good stuff.

6. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

"Copperhead Road" is indeed a Steve Earle song. Look for the disc David mentioned where Earle is playing with the Del McCoury Band. That should be the disc most likely to be what you are lookin' for.

7. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I recently watch an Alison Krauss & Union Station concert on HDnet that was amazing (especially when they did "A Man Of Constant Sorrow")...they are really quite accomplished musician's and if this is on DVD anywhere it's a treat.

Jason

8. chad

Thanks Jason, I will look for that. I LOVE concert dvds.

Denton, I have some errands to run tonight, one of them might be to a music store, thanks!

9. brianca

brianca New Member

Check out the Bad Livers on iTunes. Excellent new school bluegrass. Also the Asylum Street Spankers if you can find them. Not sure if they are on i-tunes or not, and I'm not on an iTunes computer right now.

10. chad

thanks brianca, I will keep my eyes open for them.

I just googled both of them, they have a both have a pretty cool sound. I will have to look for them!

11. brianca

brianca New Member

If you ever get the chance to see the Bad Livers live, I highly recommend it. They put on quite a show.

12. TimB

TimB New Member

I - painfully - had to miss AKUS with Tony Rice here last Saturday night. While not exactly 'bluegrass' - well, ok, not at all like bluegrass - I just heard John Prine will be back in August and I will NOT miss him!

13. Frank A

Frank A New Member

chadci, do you have DVD-A capability? If so, check out "The Brand New Opry" dvd-a. This disk plays some bluegrass in it. A couple of the players are related to one of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band players, and seem to have a similar sound (I think). Very good, well recorded disk.

Frank.

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt New Member

?Contemporary bluegrass" ? isn?t that an oxymoron? :D

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

15. chad

Wayne, that is kind of what I always thought as well, but it's out there... Just finding it.

My favorite oxymoron is jumbo shrimp.

16. Jim Armstrong

Jim Armstrong New Member

When you mentioned Mike Auldridge & Ms. Ronstadt I had to tell you about OLD TRAIN by ?The Seldom Scene?.
    It?s a 33 year old recording that I have on the original LP and now it has been released on CD.
    Linda only sings on two cuts but those happen to be my favorites. Most of all, ?Through the Bottom of the Glass?.
    Some other ?new groups??.in my world that would be post-1965 bluegrass:

The Johnson Mountain Boys

Hot Rize

Larry Sparks

The Red Clay Ramblers

Reeltime Travelers

The Grassy Knoll Boys

But, if you really enjoy bluegrass, you?ll always need a good selection of Bill Monroe, the Stanley Brothers and Flatt & Scruggs.
    There is simply no substitute.