Cool things you can do with your PS3

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Jun 20, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

OK, for someone who never RsTFM other than play games and watch BD movies, I know you can tap into multimedia servers (audio, video, pics). How do you do this stuff or should I just RTFM?

Also, are there enough people here to start a "PS3 Online ID thread" like the 360 one? Is your PSN ID constant for all games? How's this stuff work?

2. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Whaaaat? You got a PS3 instead of a XBOX 360???!!! Say it isn't so!

3. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Dude, I know you want to chat with me long into the night on LIVE but I went over this last week. Already have an HD-DVD player, wanted to kill two birds with one stone via console/HD machine so I went with the PS3. Why don't you get one instead of continuing to rag on me about the 360? ;)

4. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

[​IMG]

... all my plans with my XBOX Live CAM ... ruined ... completely destroyed ... :cry:

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Cool. Crappy Sony PS3 threads with pics of crappy SW scenes. 8)

Oh, RTFM. :wink:

6. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Colton,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the laugh.

7. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Congrats on the new system. Hope you enjoy it. The PS3 ID is consistent through all games but your friends list is not, i.e. in Resistance you have recreate it in game. I highly recommend you pick up Resistance. One of the best experiences I've had gaming online. My PS3 ID is leafs80, so please feel free to add me to your list.

As for streaming video or music from my PC, I haven't had the chance to set it up yet.

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

CJ,
    I'm trying to dig up the link on how to make the media server functionality to work. You need version 1.80 firmware to enable the media server, upscaling etc.

Other cool things:
    How to upgrade the hard drive - see user's manual
    You can install linux on it.

PSN ID:

Mine is shaneous

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

OK, thanks. I'll have to investigate resistance. Only fear is that I SUCK big time at fast paced FPS. My brother can vouch for the comic value of my trying to play Halo on Xbox and I got COD III for Wii and it wasn't much better (to the degree I'm thinking about selling that game).

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Tru dat. He kicks my ass in football, but I own his in halo.

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

Resistance did nothing for me. I preferred Motorstorm.

Are you able to visit the store and such? I had to DMZ my PS3 to make it happen.

13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I think so, I downloaded three trailers (2 different transformers ones and the trailer for Sony "home" which I haven't watched yet).

14. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Motorstorm was a fun game but I sold my copy because I didn't care for the single player too much and the loading took way too long when playing online for my liking.

Don't worry about not being very good at Resistance CJ, I'm not either but it's lots of fun anyways.

One thing you might want to look into is opening a shared account with a couple other people. It really helps cut the costs on stuff you buy in the store.

15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I have no idea what that means ;)

I don't have a problem with not being good at a game in principal, but not being able to advance past the first level is absurd.

Are there playable demos on the Sony Store? Will there be? Are there on LIVE? Seriously, I read some of these threads and gaming has changed so much since even regular Xbox. Wii doesn't do the stuff that PS3 and 360 do so I read people talking about this and that and I can really only guess how all this stuff works.

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Perhaps some questions you should have asked before dropping $600? 8)

17. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Shared accounts can be used by up to 5 people. Each person in the group can set up the account on their systems as a new user profile apart from the one you would use that is linked to your PSN account. Anything downloaded from the store, i.e. games or add-ons to games, can be then be used by the main account on your PS3. The cost savings come in because everyone in the group can chip in some money but each person does not have to pay the full amount. So if a game costs $5.00, each person in the group only needs to pay $1.00 and they can all play it on their systems.

Now you may not want to have a group of 5 people, because if someone's system dies, their licence from that system for this account does not transfer to the new system unless of course you know how to cancel a licence. I'm in a group with 2 other people and it is working out quite well so far.

I hope that explanation helps a bit, but I'm sure someone else can explain it a little better than I have. :)

There are many playable demos available on the PSN, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Gran Turismo HD to name a couple.

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Nah, it is what it is. Learned that lesson with the Wii. Would I not have bought it if there were no downloadable game demos? Of course not.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yes, Yes and Yes.

A couple of noteworthy ones: Grand Turismo HD, Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

20. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Demos page here

There are over 80 playable game demos on Live