1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Copyright question?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by John F, Jun 14, 2007.

1. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Alfer posted a link to a video that had the following text:

Is this "legally" binding? I would guess it isn't?

-John

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Ooops.

Well then I'd bet we'd have to shut down past threads and avoid creating numerous future threads if we all had to avoid disclaimers on news/informationarticles/photo's that we post about daily here and on other forums.

3. RickG

RickG New Member

I believe it is. I don't think something has to be registered to be copyrighted, it just has to be represented clearly as not being public domain.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I don't think he was implying that you violated it, you didn't redistribute the work.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

So if any of us emailed the link only to a friend are we breaking the law...?

Thinking about it, I don't see how offering a link to the original site to view the original video is violating anything.

Now if I downloaded the video to a website I peronally owned I'd say yes, that is a violation....

This thread is nothing more than a link to the original site..not a copy, not a seperate download, not a reproduction...

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Agreed...I just posted other thoughts below.

:)

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Sure. It's the same as any copyright. No copywritten material may be used in ways not allowed by the owner without the owner's permission. This person is simply outlining uses he does not want his material put to, but in reality he did not have to list any of that since all copyrights carry those restrictions. Distributing a link to his material would not violate any copyrights, by the way, and he cannot restrict legitimate fair use of his material.

8. John F

I didn't mean to imply that anyone here was using it illegaly.

So I couldn't use it for educational purposes? I couldn't use a portion in a satirical way?

9. John F

Thinking about it... I guess "legally" I couldn't. But I could use "Fair Use" as a defense (if I used it for educational purposes)?

Oops...

Sorry David, I missed the following in your post:

10. John F

My apologies for the ambiguity of my original post, but I guess I over analyzed the original quote. I thought that the quote was saying he had additional restrictions that would override fair use.

11. cjd

cjd New Member

He's just pointing out what copyright means since people don't seem to have any concept of it.

C