1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Correct CD format for factory car stereo is?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Alfer, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I just had a brain fart and was going to make a cd for my wifes SUV and it has just a regular non-MP3 playing cd stereo...I can't remember, do factory stereos usually accept WMA and WAV??

My car has a new Pioneer set up so I'm covered on all formats.

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Alfer, if it will read CD-R's it will have to be burned in Redbook format (standard CD audio.) I doubt it will accept WMA or WAV data formats, and many OEM car head units will not read CD-R/W.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

It probably won't play WMA. You'll need to burn an audio format CD. You can't just burn wav files to a disk as a data cd I don't think. What burning program do you use?

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I was ripping a cd to my work PC via WMP11...then gonna burn to cd to take home....options in the "RIP" tab is various WMA types, WAV, MP3.

When I click "Burn" I chose "Audio CD"

5. CJ

If you are choosing "audio CD" in any way shape or form when you burn it should work in all redbook CD players so I think you're doing it right.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Groovy..thanks

7. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

You may know more than I, but the CD player in my old car wouldn't read CD-RWs.

8. CJ

True, assuming the player supports the media in the first place.