1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Criterion's stance on HD

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Tyson, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I'm not sure if this was covered over at HTT or maybe even here. I emailed Criterion to ask about HD and if they are thinking of heading in that direction. While the answer is not what I was hoping for once directed to their blog, I can't blame them.

From Criterion blog URL:
    http://www.criterion.com/blog/2006_11_01_archive.html#116259362318816373

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Meh.

Criterion was slow to come around for DVD, as you may recall. Their first stance was anti-anamorphic because they felt that players did not handle downconversion consistently. Bunch of laserdisc fanbois, I tell ya. ;)

But they have been doing high-definition restorations and transfers for several years now, so whichever format they choose, there will be a library of titles available.

"Looks like I'm going to have to buy the White Album again."

- Steve

3. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

The answer is in the answer.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Well, that's kind of lame. I thought making HD-DVDs wasn't significantly more expensive than making DVDs. Why not start there and see what happens?

5. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

It's right there in the post:
    So, starting with HD-DVD only would not be in the spirit of "not leave anyone out". Their stance of not leaving anyone out leaves only three options:
    1) Put out everything in both formats, which they say is not financially feasible (If you are correct that HD-DVDs aren't that expensive to produce, then perhaps it is Blu-Ray that is the culprit?)
    2) Put out everything in one format, but only after universal players are easy to obtain.
    3) Put out everything in one format, after that format wins and the other format is gone.

I'm thinking #2 is the best bet to be first, and hopefully that isn't too far in the future.

Graeme

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Or, in their attempt to "not leave anyone out," they do nothing and leave everyone out. :)

7. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Looks like they are practicing an equal rights policy. :)

Graeme

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

They could sadly also join on the Warner Total HD bandwagon and solve their inventory issues.