D*TV customer service

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Michael M, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Last week my Hughes TiVo crapped out. It lasted 5 yrs so I'm not going to complain. It kept cycling in start-up mode. I found out later it was a bad hard drive.

I called up D*TV and asked what sort of deals they had for replacing it. They said they would replace it for free as long as I signed a 2 yr agreement. No biggie, I've been with them for over 5 yrs now so what's a couple of more. I made sure to ask for was another TiVo, not a DVR. SURE! No problem! In the mean time I had them activate a HD unit that is sitting around till I get my basement HT room up and going again.

Two days later the new reciever shows up, I switch out recievers and wa-la I was back in business; or so I thought. The new reciever was a DVR NOT TiVo like I asked for. I got them on the phone I told them my concern, but they convinced me to try it by telling me some micer features it has over TiVo; more recording hours, 90 minute playback if you stay on one channel, no phone line needed. That sounded cool so I went with it. Within the first hour of playing with it, I knew I didn't like it anywhere near like I did my TiVo unit. I hated the Guide. Now I'm bummed and wanted to return it, and then go check BB or CC to see if they had a unit. D*TV said sure, no problem since I had 30 days to try it anyway, there would not be a penalty. I had them turn my HD reciever back on again and I switched out the reciever AGAIN.

Now off to look for another TiVo! Well if any of you had tried to find one, they don't make them like they use to. What I needed was two coax inputs and one coax out. Neither BB or CC had one that would work like mine. All of them were one in and one out. They don't make them for D*TV anymore since D*TV makes they DVR now. Even the DVRs are one in and one out. It makes it harder to watch two shows at once. One would have to be recording while the other was live. With TiVo you don't have to do that. So now I'm off to EBay to find a used TiVo. Not much to choose from there. Now what to do?

I decided to ask our fellow HTL resident Shane a few questions about TiVo/DVRs and called him up. One word of warning, if you call Shane, don't do it at 11pm at night. That ol' boy can talk! Eventually we got around to talking about the recievers and he answer my questions. He also offered up a possible sale on a unit he has sitting around, and a website called Weaknees that sell hard drives for TiVo units. This site seemed like my best bet if I wanted to keep my Hughes up and running. I did a little looking around and found a 160 gig HD with 140hrs. Much-o many-o hours-o than the 35hrs I had! I went ahead and ordered one up and had it sent 2nd day. It was very easy to install and get up and running again.

So thanks to Shane for some great info and the website info. And thanks to D*TV for my many questions and switching in and out recievers over and over again, I'm a happy camper and ready to enjoy more TiVo'ing!!!

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'm glad it worked out. In my experience what goes bad on those receivers is in fact the hard drive.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Dealing with Verizon has been something of an amazment for me. They have a good product and excellent customer service. I am so glad I switched from Brighthouse and I was happy when I moved from D*TV to brighthouse.

Max

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Max,

If I had Verizon, or even Comcast, here then I would look into using them. We have Charter for cable and after having used them once I am not a big fan.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Yup the good old POS DTV version of TV...I got suckered into the R15 a year++ or so ago and it's just an aweful attempt at ripping off DTIVO box....clunky, not user friendly etc.

I too in the beginning asked for a DTivo and was told the same thing.."Sure we'll send you another Tivo version.."..Three days go by, and I've got another Dtv R15...ugh..after another call back, they said they made a mistake and would send me another Tivo....nope..got another R15...I called and voiced my hatred of the machine and gave up trying to get a Tivo version. We are just living with the quirks until our contracts are up.

We've been with them for almost 10 years now.

6. hgroff

hgroff New Member

For the past 7 days I have been enjoying my new DVR from Dish (VIP611) not a tivo , but a great player, and a pleasure to use. Sorry Direct TV let you down. At least things worked out.

7. Shane

Shane Active Member

While Directv's customer service was dreadful for me, my experience with Xbox customer support over the last 2 months has been downright awful. They send me an email saying "power supply sent" and I receive a setup DVD. The new one will arrive today so if it's not the power supply I will be calling and the person on the phone will not want to talk to me..