Dare I buy a non Apple tablet?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Chris Slade, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I really need two tablets, pretty much strictly for playing internet radio, and music from youtube, music apps. I have always had Apple, right from the original to a current pro and most models (or a couple of each) in between. Having said that at first I loved the pro.... then I bought a Windows netbook for a 1/4 of the price of the pro, and I hardly touch the pro now.

Ah, thinking as I write this both tablets need to be able to send music to an airport express. I have never tried that with a non apple device, can it be done? I guess if it can't I go iPad done deal.

2. Chris Slade

So it looks like there are apps out to handle this...... no experience here though. I don't want it to be clunky. Is anyone doing this and having it work well with a specific app and or device?

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

My guess is as an longtime Apple user, you'll find it clunky. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE my daughter's Kindle fire. Its cheap junk hardware but even if it wasn't dreadfully slow, the OS is clunky IMO.

4. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I have no idea what's out there for non-iPad tablets. I got a Kindle Fire when it was on sale for like $30, and that seems like an appropriate price for it. It died after a few months, and I will probably return it and try to get a replacement. It worked fine for playing solitaire and surfing Reddit :) I've never used a Samsung or any other higher-end Android tablet. I used to own a Nexus 7, that too was pretty cheap.

CJ likes this.
  5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Just for music? Why not just use an iPod Touch

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

I have a couple of iPad minis (basically used for music servers). I also have an old Oppo BDP-93 and Oppo never wrote an IOS App (and since it is not a current model they won't be doing one). I had my 1st iPad and needed a tablet for the second system music server in addition to needing an Android for the BDP-93 to select music from either attached hard drives or my network. So I bought a cheapo NuVision tablet at Sam's Club a couple of years back. I pretty much just use 2 Apps, JRemote (for JRiver) and the Oppo Media Control App. I also downloaded and tried Gizmo which is an App for jRiver that is free. It is similar to jRemote but not quite as convenient. I bought a newer iPad mini and then I had a Best Buy gift card and I bought a cheapo Insignia Android Tablet. I have multiple Oppo players in various systems so having an extra cheap one doesn't hurt. I also have the Oppo Apps on my iPhone 6 and I probably use that more than the tablets as the bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers and I can use the App with the Oppo 103D to select music from my NAS. For my use in secondary systems, the cheapo Androids are fine. Probably at some point when there is a deal, I might break down and get a bigger Apple tablet.

7. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Ok as a long time android user, when it comes to tablets there are two ways to go for the most part.

1 get an iPad, and this is from a guy that would not own an iPhone.

2 get an MS surface pro, but only do this if you really want something more like a fill PC.

I have found Android seems overly complicated and if you want that might as well get something that acts like a PC.

8. Chris Slade

Yeap no need to complicate things here, easier is better. iPads are not cheap.... and buying two just for this purpose seems like over kill. I want to keep using the airport express' I have four or 4 in the house, it works well meets my needs and is super stable.

Last night I was cleaning up the area down by the lake, I plugged in the amp and express for the summer. I forgot I had upgraded my router over the winter. I had wifi down there no problem for a couple of hours. I normally use a trendnet wireless extender to get decent coverage down there. But that is still in a closet not powered up yet. I was very surprised to have decent coverage. After a couple of hours things started to fall apart.

iPod touch might be an option, that never even occurred to me.

9. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I have both Apple and a newer Kindle Fire HD. The Kindle is of no use when it comes to music playback so we need to pass on that route. The Samsung Tab A is pretty good but the JRiver app is just ok imo.
    The iPad is a beautiful thing and works with Jriver and obviously the Apple products like they were all designed by the same company....yeah silly.
    For me, I use a Ipad Touch because it is small, easy to handle and melds with both Jriver, Apple and pretty much all of the networked products I have except for Sony who does not seem to want an App for their stuff.
    Apple products just work and work well, heck I am a PC guy but I have an Apple infrastructure from the router to the phone. I have thought about changing but why, things just seem to work. Now with the price of the new iPad at under $400, there really is no reason to go android unless you like to be aggravated.

10. Chris Slade

I can get a iphone 5c for $100. This would do the trick, but likely will not be able to run the soon due out new ios. Ipod touch is $200 I think.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

12. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Do you want a tablet or a phone? Phablet?

The MS Surface can be had for around $300, IIRC. The Pro is a lot more expensive, but it's much more capable, as well.

If you want to try an Android device, refurbed Nexus 6P is under $400.