1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Deck stain water-proofness time.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, May 30, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Poorly worded title but I want to know if I stain my deck how soon can it get wet without causing problems?

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

FYI:

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

and...

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

FYI...CR tested stains/treatments and the top two were:

Cabot Deck Stain #1480..held up the best to everything
    Cabot Solid COlor 1880...almost as good.

The farther down the list the worsre the brand held up.

5. cjd

cjd New Member

Water based probably should get a day or two though ~6-8 hours is I think minimum. Whatever the "between coats" time is usually indicates a safe amount of time before water won't be problematic. Though a really heavy storm at 6 hours might be an issue... ;) So, wait till you've a couple days clear weather predicted.

With asthma (and kids), I wouldn't even look at the solvent based stuff. Fumes are nasty.

C

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks guys

7. hgroff

hgroff New Member

Ok, good info, but does that apply to fences as well. Also What brand have you guys had the best luck with. I have used thompson seal, and I am thinking about going now to a stain. Any thoughts?

8. cjd

cjd New Member

Far as I know, yeah. Fences too. Though they don't get the physical abuse (grinding dirt in, etc.) a deck gets.

The folks that installed the fence in our yard (before we moved in) were dumbasses, mounted every post in cement. So they're all starting to rot at the top of the cement. One's already toast.

C