Denon 3808 and 4308 information

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

For those interested:

Pictures on both links

http://www.listenup.com/DENON+AVR-3808CI-p-AVR3808CI-p-49908.html

3808CI - $1599 MSRP - Early July

Denon 4308CI - $2499 - Late June Early July availability
    http://www.listenup.com/DENON+AVR-4308CI-p-AVR4308CI-p-49908.html

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Just what I was waiting for and the earlier release of the 4308 seems a good enough reason to go for it over the 3808.

:):)

Max

3. Max Yokell

OK Now I see these say HDMI repeater and before there was some question about the length of Cable you can run from one of these to the display.

Is there any more info on this situation now.

I mean I would guess I am going to need at least a 30' cable or more because I am going to have to go 8' up a wall and then about 18' down the wall and then over to the center of the room another 8' which seems to me I would be looking at nearly 40' to run to the projector.

Is this not going to work? Am I going to need some sort of signal booster.

This just seems very limiting.

It appears the Onkyo and Yamaha stuff are the same repeater set up.

MAx

4. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

I have a 50' HDMI run, and it's already giving me problems- a signal booster might be needed, but I've never had the time to investigate the problem (I just switched everything to component which looks just as good IMO).

Both of these look pretty good (typically feature packed as most Denon products are), but they seem a little weak on the video side, for example- the Integra looks better to me because of the Realta scaling, which is the best available by quite a lot right now- but I don't think the Integra has DTS Master HD decoding- could be wrong though...

Either way- this makes one stand up and take notice- now where is the Denon pre-pro without the wussy built-in amps? :wink:

-Dennis

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm guessing the projector market is pretty small and they expect these things to be sitting next to a TV :( :(

7. Max Yokell

CJ,
    I think the projector market is actually one of the markets that is on a huge upswing in the HT industry currently. The lower cost Digital Projectors are really starting to make their mark and as more people realize you can have a decent HD pic of 90+ inches for around a grand and for the cost of the a top of the line 70+ inch DLP TV you can get a 1080P projector and have a top notch image they will get even more popular.

I currently know at least 3 people other then myself preparing for projectors.

Dennis,
    Is there a signal booster you can get? It would seem to me if there was such a device you/we/CJ too could run the HDMI out from the receiver to it and then from there however long our run needed to be. I am thinking I am going to need damn near 40' and I really would like it to be HDMI because I don't feel like redoing the whole thing in a few years when studios start turning of the analog outputs for their DVDs.

Max

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

I have a 40' run of HDMI from my Fios box to my projector at 1080i res. No problems whatsoever.

Pete

9. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I've been looking at HDMI switchers/splitters and have run across several HDMI extenders. For example, at the high end, Gefen sells one for $199. At the low end, Monoprice.com sells one for $29.

10. Max Yokell

Thanks Chris that might be just what CJ and I and maybe Dennis are going to need.

Pete,
    It is my understanding that the problems happen when using a receiver that uses repeaters as opposed to coming straight off the source. Like if you ran one from your HD-DVD Player no problem, but run it to the receiver and then from the receiver out and then you get the problems.

At least that was my take on what was said.

Max

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

There are also powered/active single cable extenders. This might be usable after HDMI receivers become popular... you might just install it on a short cable coming out of the receiver and then install your long run on the other end. So your receiver still does the switching but essentially you're turning the repeater output of the receiver into an extender. Don't know if that would work, but if it does, it might make more sense for someone with a receiver.

12. Max Yokell

CJ,
    That is exactly what I thought about installing one of the extender on with a short cable coming out of the receiver and hook it to the long run to the projector. This would allow me to using the switching of the receiver and still get the video to the projector.

I think initially I am going to try one long run in both HDMI and Component and then I will have both and can use component until I get an extender/booster

Max