1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Despair, Confusion, disillusionment that is my current mood

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Max Yokell, May 21, 2007.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Well you all knew how I was taking over the building of a house with my wife and we were going to be getting a very decent size (3400 sqf) house with a huge entertainment room well it seems my wife has had a change of heart about the property and this after I had all my dreams and plans for that room done up in my head and 2 SVS Ultra 13s and a full set of Rocket speakers on order.

The main thing is she fears the neighborhood is going to wind up being kind of trashy and the house will lose value rather then gain and over the last few weeks it has only been my desire of my perfect room blinding me to the fact that I think she is right.

So am I canceling the SVS Sub and Speakers? Hell NO!!!!!!!

We are now in a mad scramble for a new existing house to move into with a LARGE bonus/entertainment room and we are willing to go as much as two hundred grand higher in cost provided it has a pool and the right school district. :)

Wow what a weekend this turned out to be. My wife is meeting with an attorney this morning to try and untangle us and maybe get at least some of our deposit back.

We found a really beautiful house in the area we want to live in but the bonus room is 13 x17 with about 2' of closet I could knock out making it 13 x 19 which might be a decent little theater (Oh Boy those SVS subs would do a number on this room) and there is kind of a smaller entry way room which I would kind of do up as an entrance/concession area. The rest of the house is pretty much perfect. $410 with pool but no hot tub or heater which of course could be added.

I am highly saddened by my lose of the perfect theater room, but as we saw where this area was going we realized we did not want our kids there.

Max

2. Max,

Sorry to hear about your situation but, it sounds like you are making the right decision and this short time of sadness will turn into years and years of happiness and thankfulness that you made this decision.

When we had our second kid we too decided that the home we loved and were living in was in a neighborhood headed downhill. We moved to a more family friendly area with a better school district and we have never looked back. Now, our old home is a trash pit in a graffiti filled neighborhood in a school district filled with gangs.

Good Luck... but I think you made the right decision! :)

3. mark j

mark j New Member

With realty it always location location location, I hope it all works out.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Good luck Max. You will find your chateau.

5. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

With that much scratch to play with, you'll find something you'll love for many years. The lesson? Listen to wifey once in awhile-:)

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Artie,
    She got me into this whole with the lure of that bonus room, or I would have said no in the first place. :)

7. Artie,
    I think he means $410 a month mortgage. :D

8. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Wow, do things like that exist? 8)

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Isn't that what everyone in California signed up for with those (yes it IS too good to be true) interest only mortgages? ;)

10. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Even those would have the mortgage closer to $2k a month!

11. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

GO MAX GO!!!

12. cjd

cjd New Member

Wow. $2k a month? What, you can get houses for only a few hundred thousand these days?!

13. Yup.... :D

14. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

My neighbors house is on the market for $780,000.

The market in major metropolitan areas is insane!

15. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Ha, yea. Median price in my neighborhood is around $700K.

16. Stephen Opipari

Stephen Opipari New Member

Probably very wise of you to step back and look at the situation the way you are. I wish my wife and I did in 05 when we bought our current new home.

What you and yours expect may happen in the community did in fact happen in the one I am in. It doesn't help that our state has a bad Real Estate trend in general, but my neighborhood literally had a 20 - 40k drop in housing values because the unscrupulous builder took advantage of a PUD document that let him put basically anything in the neighborhood and went from base price $170k homes @ 1800 sq ft to base price $120k homes @ 1000 sq ft. He also stopped selling homes like mine that easily got into the mid $200k range. To top it off, the companies advertising dollar went directly to trailer parks (not that there's anything wrong with 99% of folks in em) and started to buy out people from their trailers to put them in homes in our neighborhood.

Prices went down the tubes, I am looking at a 30k loss in value and the people who are in these new mini-post-war style army barracks are quite frankly troglodytes and problems such as loose dogs attacking people out walking have become the norm.

We're looking at getting out of the area ASAP, but I don't have enough equity to sell right now.

17. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I had dinner Saturday at a friend?s apartment on 19th Street and 10th Avenue in Manhattan, across the street from the High Line. He paid $600K for a one bedroom that?s probably smaller than the entry way in Max?s prospective new place. I realize the Apple is a bad example, but real estate varies so dramatically around the country.

18. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

not mortage, home owners association a month ;)

19. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

not mortgage, home owners association a month ;) That should be a good enough neighborhood

20. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

I assumed he meant a $410K house.