1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Disturbia - Short Review

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by E Jones, May 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

This is a loose teen remake of "Rear Window". No it's not nearly in the same league. What it really has going for it is its charismatic star Shia LaBeouf (a kid I've liked since his Disney TV days) a very easy to look at Sarah Roemer and the always solid David Morse.

Both LaBeouf are Roemer are in their early twenties but pull off the teenager parts quite well. For a thriller that is really aimed at the teen market I was surprised at the slow start this one takes to setup. It actually sets up some character development but it almost takes too long to really get going. There's some good mood going and it's well produced just not nearly as creepy as I was expecting. A decent flick for a matinee but I would have been just as happy renting it.

I am however looking forward to see more from LaBeouf he has great presence and kind of reminds me of John Cusack when he first started out.

-EJ

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

He will indeed be an interesting addition to the Indiana Jones series....

3. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Maybe it was because i went to see it because i had nothing better to do and had zero expectations, but i was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I liked the long character-development stuff (maybe because it's been 20 years since i was a teenager), and then when it finally kicked in to frenetic-slasher mode well that worked for me too.

4. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Re-reading my post I realize that it sounds like I was getting down on the slow build. To the contrary I was surprised that it did so and quite well to boot. I just felt it lingered a little too much. This was a smart flick for the teen set not too much to complain about there.

-EJ

5. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

This movie was a lot better than I expected it to be. It definitely had some good high tension moments. Shia LaBoeuf was pretty good in it and David Morse was great as the creepy guy who lives next door. The ending was a little off for me compared to the rest of the movie but it wasn't terrible. Definitely worth a rental if you like this type of movie.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Is this movie scary or suspenseful? I've been wanting to see it but I'm done with scary movies (almost walked out of 1408 which many here would probably argue isn't even that scary). I'm just tired of scary movies.

7. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

CJ it's more suspense than scare. I think my wife only jumped once or twice which is very low for her.

-EJ

8. CJ

Thanks.

9. CJ

Disturbia (HD-DVD)

Picked up Disturbia on HD-DVD the other day and watched it last night. I've been wanting to see it but you may recall I've written off scary movies. Luckily this isn't really scary, more of a thriller. A few jump out at you moments but not a ton.

I thought the picture quality was very good. Probably not the best I've seen on HDM but very good. No comment on the audio, I'm not hooked up for advanced audio and I still pussed out a little and kept the sound a little lower than average :eek:

10. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I saw this last week and enjoyed it. Thankfully, it was not too over the top.

11. CJ

Yeah, I think they did a good job walking the line between thriller/scary/not too teeny bopper over the top.

12. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Agreed, though the actor playing Ronnie (the best friend) over-did it a bit.

13. CJ

Eh, my experience is that's how HS kids act in real life :D

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I missed that one, why?

Personally, I like scary just not gory.

15. CJ

I don't like the ones that their whole goal is literally to scare you. Saw 1408 (John Cusack) and liked the premise but wife and I were both MISERABLE. Left the theater with headaches. Same thing with the last horror I watched at home, couldn't finish it.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ:

Have you seen "Identity"?

17. CJ

Yes. I enjoyed it, especially the twists.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I thought Disturbia was OK. I gave it a 6/10
    Other films in the voyeur/thriller genre:

Rear Window - 10 - The standard against all others are measured and my favorite Hitchcock film.

Peeping Tom - 8.5 - British. A bit dated, released the same year as Psycho, but still effective

Monsiur Hire - 8 - French, subtitled

Bedroom Window - 6.5 - With a so-so Steve Guttenberg and an underrated Elizabeth McGovern

Mute Witness - 6.5 - German with spoken English

Body Double - 6 - Brian De Palma directs a sexy Melanie Griffith. Craig Wasson is weak.

19. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I know all real film lovers must dump on De Palma. But this one still gets me. And I think Wasson had to be "weak" to portray his character.

"Disturbia" was better than I could have expected. And Moss is playing somebody's mom!?

20. CJ

If there ever was a legitimate use for the term MILF.