1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

DIY speakers...Where do I start?

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Corey, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Corey

Corey New Member

I've been looking around, demoing, researching speakers for quite a while now, and still haven't been able to come to a decision. I've ruled a few out, added a few back, ruled them out again, etc. I just can't decide what I want to do.

Now, I'm wondering if going the DIY route is an option for me. I have some experience with woodworking, own the basic tools, and am somewhat handy in general. Nothing too complex, but I can manage the basics.

I'm looking for a tower-style speaker, clear but not bright, excellent soundstage, and could be easily integrated into my system. Would be about 75% movies/TV, 25% 2-chanenel audio. I have a PB2+ from SVS, which will handle the low end. Amplifier is currently a 200 wpc Adcom.

So, where oh where would I begin my travels down this path? kits? Start from scratch? pre-made plans? What do I need to look out for?

Any advice is helpful. Anyone taken this route themselves?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have ZERO experience with working on electrical engineering, so I'm not sure how I would handle building the crossover. I wonder if they come pre-built?

2. cjd

cjd New Member

How big? There are SO many options, SO many opinions, it's really hard to know where to start.

I design speakers for DIY use, so yeah... been there. ;)

Crossovers will not come assembled (unless you buy a kit, which is still diy-ish...) But sometimes you can find someone to build for you. I assembled crossovers for a gentleman up in CA that built one of my designs.

Obligatory pic.

[​IMG]

A "mini" version is in the works with a local audiophile - he's hoping to deliver an assembled box for me to measure and do crossover work from. Though it's different too.

C

3. Corey

Corey New Member

Wow, nice work on those.

Not looking for anything quite that large. aiming for about 48" tall, 8" wide. Depth is negotiable.

I'll try to snap some photos of the room that they'll be going in.

Do you sell your DIY designs somewhere?

4. cjd

cjd New Member

I do give them away ;)

The recent project is 11x50x14.5 I think.

You might enjoy the conceptualized (but not yet built or designed) 2.5 way based on my smaller MTM (which loads of people seem to really like). 7.5" wide.

Most of my projects can be found linked or talked about over at the htguide forum (in the Mission Possible or Mission Accomplished sections) - along with a bunch of other really good options.

C