1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Do I have burn in on my Panny 700?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Tyson, May 10, 2007.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I run my projector on econo mode or whatever Panasonic calls it and it is a few hundred hours shy of the 3000 mark, at which point it will turn off until I replace the bulb.

Since I got back I have been noticing that the overall picture seems to have a somewhat blueish tint to it, and there are distinct areas on the screen where this blue is a little darker, and seems to be permanent. The burn in 'look' does not look like any type of lettering or look like a game was left on, it is rather dull and undefined.

Is it possible that my bulb is dying? To my knowledge most projector bulbs don't slowly die, they pop and never come back on.

If it is burn in, what needs replacing on a Panny 700? Or should I just replace the entire projector when the funds are available. It is not bothering me all that much, namely because I can't afford it right now and have other interests as far as money spending right now, but it is slowly getting on my nerves and I'm wondering what I might be looking at to get it fixed. If it is in fact burn in.

Anyone encountered this before with an LCD front projector?

Tyson

2. dan marquardt

dan marquardt New Member

the panels might have gotten burned out. I believe the blue LCD panels are somewhat notorious for dying faster than the other two.

I personally would just get a new projector (this is what I did just two months ago 700-->100x)

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yeah, I always here something about polarizers or something on LCDs? I'm really not an expert so I'd just be google searching to provide any more info, which you can obviously do too.

4. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Yeah I just wanted to check if anyone here had first hand experience.

I'll probably just replace it when I can.

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes now you need 1080P and some of the new 1080P LCD units are pretty cheap.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Active Member War Zone Member

I've got an Panny AE300 still going strong. Getting closer to 4000 hours on the original bulb. Shouldn't shut off when it hits 3000 and if it does I'm sure there is someway to let it go past this.

There's a chance what you're seeing might be a very mild dust blob. If you pull the cover off and run some compressed air in there with a vacuum going as well, might solve the problem.

Dustin

7. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Hmmm...Good idea and thank you.

8. svesta

svesta New Member

I have an AE700 as well. It seems to be running a similar course as yours, including having to have the power board replaced.

Mine is at about 3500 hours. The projector will still turn on if you have had it in low power mode. Not sure what the timer is on this, I think perhaps 5000 hours before it will not turn on.

I can say that my panels do have some type of uneven pattern wear, and it is directly at the edge of where I watch 4:3 material. So I don't see it watching normal TV, but a movie or HDTV I see the colors on the side are darker. The divide is very sharp, and I have a hard time believing it is dust or something obstructing the optical path.

I've tried for the last 100 hours to run it in stretch mode to even the wear, but this isn't fixing anything. I have wondered if a new bulb may be bright enough to offset this, but am also worried it may be even more pronounced.

Just moved into a new house, and after 4 projectors, thinking of going with something else. Possibly one of the new Samsung LED DLP's.

Steve