Do places like this still exist?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by John Gonzales, Jun 21, 2007.

1. John Gonzales

John Gonzales New Member

Do places like this still exist?

I'm referring to the small town in "Doc Hollywood" (1991) where life is slower and everyone knows everyone. If you haven't watched that movie, here's a synopsis:

Benjamin Stone is a young doctor driving to L.A where he was offered a new job as a plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills. He gets off the highway to avoid a traffic jam, but gets lost and ends up crashing into a fence in the small town of Grady. He is sentenced to 32 hrs of community service at the local hospital. All he wants is to serve the sentence and get moving, but gradually the locals become attached to the new doctor, and he falls for the pretty ambulance driver, Lou. Will he leave?

It's similar in plot to the Pixar movie "Cars".

I enjoy Hawaii for the tranquility and peacefulness, and slow speed, I'm just wondering if there are other places that are even more like this.

2. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Cincinnati is 10 years behind the rest of the world.

But seriously: There are small one horse places where cars rarely travel up the dried up creek bed to get to the house, and people sit on the front porch in rocking chairs for hours on end.

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Which generally is better than sitting in front of the boob tube.

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yeah I do believe they still do. There are lots of off the beaten path small town places left and sometimes they are even hidden right in the middle of larger towns. While there are small towns for sure like this, there are still sometimes neighborhoods in some larger towns where everyone knows each other and is nice and friendly. :) I think you would be surprised that you can find this in areas of NY and Chicago as well as Tampa and I am sure other cities as well.

You see a lot of this in the small fishing towns around Florida.

BTW I enjoyed both movies but I really thought Cars was incredible.

Max

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Small town I was stationed in in North Dakota in the late '70's was like that. Package stores were drive up windows on the back of local bars. One bar was also a gun shop. You could sit and down a beer, while dry sighting a rifle. I have no reason to suspect it's changed much.

6. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

IIRC, "Doc Hollywood" was filmed in a small town outside of Gainesville, FL called Micanopy. I suspect the place is a den of gators by now. :wink: BTW, the song is mentioned in Tom Petty's "A Mind With A Heart Of Its Own" on Full Moon Fever.

Did I win the trivia contest?

7. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

plenty of places like that in Tennessee and North Ga.

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

That's Canada, isn't it?

:)

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Most of the rural midwest is like that.

10. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

If you liked Doc Hollywood, you should watch Deliverence, very similar story line.

11. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Wait...we resemble that remark.

:p

Jason

PS> But yes...there are places like that all the way up to cities with two and a half million people.

12. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

You've just described every town in the US with a population under 10,000 and more than 50 miles from a major population center (100K).

Oh yeah, also all of Canada except Toronto, Quebec, Ontario, Vancouver and Ottawa. ;)

13. Jason P

Jason P Member War Zone Member

Hey Dan,
    You forgot about Calgary, with the oil boom we have turned into jerks as well! :)

14. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

2.5 million would be a small-to-medium sized town in India ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_by_population

Wow.. India has 3 in the top 10, and is the only country with more than 1. That's pretty insane.

I remember when my wife's family visited India... they're from a town of maybe 5000... we flew in the Calcutta, then went to my hometown (population ~1 mil)... after seeing Calcutta, my mother-in-law told me "Now I see why you said you were from a small town" :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

My city is the 29th largest city in Canada at approx 130,000 people.

16. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I heard Reno is like that that. ;) LOL, I was watching Reno 911 and one of the character said "It's a lot like Mayberry on the TV, except everybody is on crystal meth and prostitution is legal."

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

On a side note...

(Colton mode on)

Doc Hollywood is one of my guilty pleasures to watch...my favorite part though is of course when the girl is topless and she is EXTREMELY chilly..to the point of poking someones eye with them....wink wink.

18. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Cracked me up. Colton mode, :lol: :lol:

19. mikesd

mikesd New Member

I live in a town in So. Illinois that is pretty close. Population 9000 and ninety miles from a city with a population of 100,000. I can drive to work in less than five minutes and across the whole town in about ten minutes. In the fall the school allows the first day of deer hunting season to be an excused absence and in the spring they have FFA day that the kids are allowed to drive a tractor to school. A couple of years ago Subway moved to a different location and the excitement was so intense it was days before you could get in the door. The slow lifestyle, low crime, and no traffic is pretty nice but if Wal Mart doesn't have it, we don't need it because they are pretty much the only shopping option.

20. brianca

brianca New Member

My folks town is around 400 people in Tennessee. Everyone knows everyone and everything they are doing. It makes the local paper when my wife and I visit.