1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Do you give away or receive IP illegally?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Dan Driscoll, Jun 14, 2007.

?

Do you give away or receive IP illegally?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

IP = Intellectual Property, i.e. copyrighted music, movies, video, books, etc.

Do you do it now or did you do it in the recent past (<1 year)? If so, respond "Yes".

If you haven't done it in more than a year, but do plan intend to do it again, respond "Yes".

If your activity was covered under the US court approved "Fair Use" doctrine (educational, personal back-up, etc.), respond "No".

If the material is in the public domain or if the copyright holder has given permission to download or copy, respond "No".

Canadians whose actions were legal under Canadian law should respond "No".

If you're not sure, ask.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Thanks Dan...looks like your the better wordsmith.

:wink:

3. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I'm curious, why limit the question to "giving" away? Why not just ask about illegal use?

4. Dan Driscoll

Because I assumed that no one here was pushing illegal copies of CDs or DVDs on a street corner or on-line.

Curious that you asked that questions, John. Maybe I was wrong?

j/k! :D

5. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

Proud Canadian here

Count me as a No

6. John F

Dan, I wasn't thinking "for profit/monetary" illegal use. I was thinking more along the lines that it wasn't a given that ripping CDs/Movies for personal convienence is legal (I'm not talking internet type servers, but personal computers for ease of use type usage).

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Does using alt.binaries.warez count? ;)

8. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I do it every once in a while but I would never do it for money or pay for a copy.

10. Dan Driscoll

US courts have generally held that making a copy of IP that you own, for your personal use, is legal and falls under the Fair Use doctrine.

The RIAA and studios have been fighting to change that, but TTBOMK, there are no specific laws against making a copy of IP that you have a valid license for, so long as it is for your own use.

11. John F

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, I thought is was a grey area, especially with the DMCA.

PS

I have a very short attention span when it comes to this stuff.

12. Dan Driscoll

There are some legal issues WRT how a copy is made. For example, some DVD ripping software is illegal. But TTBOMK, the actual act of making a copy for personal use is not illegal.

13. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Dan is correct, although the making of personal backup copies is not technically Fair Use and this is still actually an untested gray area. The DMCA makes it illegal to bypass or defeat a protection device or encoding mechanism to create a copy, for any reason. This is why some people think DMCA is illegal. They miss the point, however, that the Fair Use doctrine (it is NOT a law) does not really allow "making copies," it only allows the use of a reproduction of copywritten material for specific reasons. Fair Use does not protect the making of a "perfect" copy, and assumes that copies used for protected reasons will not reduce the copyright holder's ability to realize monetary results from their property. It is a complex area and not completely defined.

14. Dan Driscoll

To make it clear, this poll assume that the courts would rule that making back-up copies is legal.

15. John F

Wouldn't making an MP3, or putting copies (even analog copies) on a server, reduce the holder's ability to realize monetary results.

Note how I didn't quote this part:
    :)

16. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

:D :D

17. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

Does it count as yes if I lend somebody a cd knowing that it will be copied?

Stefan

18. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Theoretically according to the Grokster decision it could be illegal. But since there is no clear cut law, it would have to be for the courts to decide.

19. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Member War Zone Member

Under the disclaimer *Have you in the past year* I can say that I have not. About eight years ago before Napster was shut down by the high court I downloaded and shared tracks all the time but I immediately stopped once the RIAA started suing people.