Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by GHilinski, Jun 27, 2007.

1. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Overall the CD is better than last two CD's which were stinkers in my book but still not as good as the first few CD's. While the playing from all bend members is nothing short of awesome, most of the songs still sound generally the same as most of their other material.

I guess my problem is that I compare this CD to the New Rush and Porcupine Tree releases where they have queue's to the older stuff and some really different sounding riffs...For example, a blues riff and some severe woofer ripping bass runs on the new Rush CD . Awesome!

Although I have not read the lyrics, there are tons of religious overtones in the music, much more than than Aimee Mann says "Baby, Baby, Baby"...much more than prior CD's. Not a problem to have in music in doses but song after song is a bit much.

The deluxe CD also has a "making of" video and a 5.1 mix. The video shows how much talent these guys have. Petrucci is totally amazing...

Based on this and few new releases, Prog rock ain't dead yet but we really need to see more!!!

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I like Dream Theater quite a bit but I still haven't heard them come anywhere close to Images and Words.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt New Member

Wow, are those guys still around? I agree Images and Words was their best album (that was their first, right?). Beyond that ? not much to write home about. They?re great technicians, but their material is not musical or tuneful ? forgettable stuff.

Regards,
    Wayne