1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

DRM Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by brianca, May 11, 2007.

1. brianca

brianca New Member

I'm curious what people think about Microsoft's latest technology from enterprise DRM known as RMS. It allows companies to create e-doco (word docs, spreadsheets, emails, etc) with DRM built in so that only certain users can read, print, forward, edit, or whatever. That DRM lives within the document itself so that in theory the file can be lost, but still considered secure.

I'm curious what those that are opposed to DRM in the home theater space feel about this approach to corporate security?

2. cjd

cjd New Member

Off the top of my head, it's a good idea but it's also been around for ages (just not from Microsoft, so probably more secure :p )

But, I'm not opposed to DRM in the HT space either. :)

C

3. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

something else for one of those whiz kids to crack.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I have no problem with people preventing other people from using their content. What I have a problem with is trying to prevent people from using your content after you've made them pay for it. If you don't want ANYONE to access your corporate data, fine but they're not putting DRM on it and then selling it like studios are. I also have no problem with THAT DRM if its transparent but it isn't.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

CJ, remember that the studios do not sell you their content. They simply allow you certain rights for your payments. You only own the plastic medium that carries the content. There is no difference: DRM in any form is an attempt to restrict the use of content to only those that have been assigned to you by the copyright owner.

6. CJ

You are of course, correct.

7. I agree with CJ and David.

DRM basically saves me lots of money since it makes renting essentially the same as buying. I just don't buy movies anymore. In a way, we are all practicing DRM whenever we use any type of encryption for exchanging files and information.

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

I say go for it. I have a choice to buy or not buy.

9. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Can't you pretty much do that now with pdf?

10. Good Question? I know you can lock a PDF so it can't be changed, but, I think anyone who has Adobe reader can see the file... OR, can you now use Acrobat to encrypt the PDF file too?

11. brianca

brianca New Member

It goes much further than PDF goes and further than any other solution that I'm currently aware of.

This is very different than encryption because encryption is merely a device to prevent eavesdropping on a transmission. Once the file reaches its intended target and is decrypted, all rules are off. This goes way beyond that.

Is it ok to use this technology with E-books? That's one other space that I'm aware of similar software being used.

12. Yeah, I don't see why not?
    DRM should protect us all(and all of our creations) or none of us. I wish I had some DRM on my internet postings so when Google "sells" access to them I could get some sort of fee too? :D

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

14. CJ

That's not what he said. And any way, your new Mazda cost $25k to make? Of course not, there's markup etc. But that $15 is a licensing fee. Same with Windows, same with Halo for Xbox, same with...

15. Is that NM as in New Mexico :) , or Nm as in "name mangling" with reference to the GNU Binutils(list symbols in object files?)?

16. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

That's NM as in "Never mind you annoyingly smarter older brother."

Graeme

17. Wow...Thanks for the translation Graeme. Now I really feel old. :oops: :D