1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Dumpster diving for fun...

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Denton, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

A friend has had a couple of bad years so I thought I'd try to help out by upgrading his music system. No problem there; his TEAC receiver needs a new volume pot and his KLH speakers need to be, um, retired. I found a decent pro-logic receiver (Technics) for next to nothing. It works just fine in stereo. And then I saw a pair of speakers by the curb. :) I stopped and asked, and yes I could have them but they needed "work". I refoamed the woofers and now my friend is the proud owner of a pair of Cerwin Vegas. :shock: 8) No, they aren't going to be reviewed by Mikey Fremer (or Larry B) any time soon but the new owner is as happy as could be.

Funny thing, I feel better too. :wink:

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Good job, Denton!!!

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

It's nice to have Denton as a friend. :)

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Very cool.

Does he need anything else?

5. Denton

A new back. :(

Thanks for asking. I had a carousel CD player that I added to the pile. He's set unless you happen to have a 50" plasma you don't know what to do with. :wink:

6. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Keep digging ...

7. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

After how I felt when I woke up this morning, I don't think he wants my old back!

8. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Lots of people cap on Cerwin Vega's, but I've always kinda liked them. Especially the large 12" 3 ways. A little heavy on the bass perhaps and lacking in the "crystal transparency" department, but I can also say I've heard a lot worse at their price point.

Generally good efficiency and a "big" sound. Real good for rock & roll.

9. Denton

Got to listen to some tunes on the new system today with my bud. A nice mix of blues and classic rock. He had a big grin on his face.

I recommend this kind of project (audio) if you have the right kind of person in mind. I have built and delivered quite a few computers in my time, too. Puters are a major PITA especially if you give one to the non-computer literate. I suspect there are others on the forum who are familiar with that particular bad experience. :(