Dumpster diving for fun...

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Denton, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

A friend has had a couple of bad years so I thought I'd try to help out by upgrading his music system. No problem there; his TEAC receiver needs a new volume pot and his KLH speakers need to be, um, retired. I found a decent pro-logic receiver (Technics) for next to nothing. It works just fine in stereo. And then I saw a pair of speakers by the curb. :) I stopped and asked, and yes I could have them but they needed "work". I refoamed the woofers and now my friend is the proud owner of a pair of Cerwin Vegas. :shock: 8) No, they aren't going to be reviewed by Mikey Fremer (or Larry B) any time soon but the new owner is as happy as could be.

Funny thing, I feel better too. :wink:

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Good job, Denton!!!

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

It's nice to have Denton as a friend. :)

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Very cool.

Does he need anything else?

5. Denton

A new back. :(

Thanks for asking. I had a carousel CD player that I added to the pile. He's set unless you happen to have a 50" plasma you don't know what to do with. :wink:

6. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Keep digging ...

7. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

After how I felt when I woke up this morning, I don't think he wants my old back!

8. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Lots of people cap on Cerwin Vega's, but I've always kinda liked them. Especially the large 12" 3 ways. A little heavy on the bass perhaps and lacking in the "crystal transparency" department, but I can also say I've heard a lot worse at their price point.

Generally good efficiency and a "big" sound. Real good for rock & roll.

9. Denton

Got to listen to some tunes on the new system today with my bud. A nice mix of blues and classic rock. He had a big grin on his face.

I recommend this kind of project (audio) if you have the right kind of person in mind. I have built and delivered quite a few computers in my time, too. Puters are a major PITA especially if you give one to the non-computer literate. I suspect there are others on the forum who are familiar with that particular bad experience. :(