1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

DVD players with DTS?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Dan H., May 21, 2007.

1. Dan H.

Dan H. New Member

Ok, so about 5 years after my last purchase of any kind of home theater device I find myself out looking for a DVD player. Nothing too fancy...something to fit an enlisted man's budget. 8) But, as I recall, DTS was one of THE things to have on a DVD player and was pretty much mainstream. Now of the 15 or so players I looked at only 3 said anything about it. Has it died out? Is it not that big a deal anymore? Or do all the other players likely have it, but aren't labled? I'm really confused on this and I don't want to go purchase something ill-informed. Thanks!

- Dan

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Nah it is just you couldn't find a DVD player that won't pass DTS anymore, they all do it.

Max

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

They all do it now its not big deal. Are you going to go next gen or just get a new DVD player? The Toshiba HD-A2 will probably be $250 or less soon and there will be a full featured combo player coming out soon as well.

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I want to say it is already $250 at Costco.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

You have my permission ;)

6. Dan,

What TV/Display are you going to use this player with?
    What video connection are you going to use to this display?

I can be more specific with that info as to which player I'd recommend.

If you are waiting to jump into an HD format disc player, and are looking for the best SD image(upconverted or otherwise) I'd recommend these units. \
    For a Digital HDTV(LCD/DLP/Plasma)
    http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html
    and
    these units for an analog based HDTV.
    http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html
    http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html

7. Dan H.

Dan H. New Member

Thanks for the answers, everyone! I was slightly embarrassed to have to asked but decided I'd rather look the fool for asking than look the fool for buying the wrong thing! 8)

CJ,

I'm not really looking at going next gen at this time...unless...

I do have some DVD-Audio discs, DTS CD's, and have heard some nice things from SACD's in the past...are these formats still around at all. They are also acronyms I have not seen around lately. If they are still around I'd like at least a DVD-Audio player for the discs I have. If they aren't then I suppose I'll just deal with the DD tracks on them. As far as the video side of things, well, I'm not going to be using anything HD anytime soon (we're talking a year at the earliest) so the HD vs Blue Ray issue really doesn't matter much to me.

Merc,

As you can see from the above statement, HD or even upconverting doesn't really matter. We've got a 27" tube tv (not even stereo A/V inputs) and a 17" Samsung flat screen tube tv which is standard def but DOES at least have component video inputs. I like A/V toys and will build myself up but right now my focus is getting my college debt out of the way. And more important to me would be my audio rather than my video...another topic entirely! :oops:

- Dan