Ethernet Powerline Adapters

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Chris White, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Anyone here have experience with ethernet powerline adapters?

I'll need to install cat 5 drops in the new house (my office, wife's desk, htpc, 2 Replays) and also for in in-laws new house. I don't relish the idea of crawling around in a hot attic, not to mention trying to figure out how to run wires in a 2-story house. So, I'm thinking about just buying ethernet powerline adapters instead. Here's what I've got in mind:

NOVATECH NV-229W Powerline Turbo Ethernet Adapter

The price is $35 for one near the router and then $35 for each drop. That's not cheap, but probably less than an electrician would charge to do the wiring.

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I use a couple of Net gear ones in the office and they work really well.

Max

3. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

These are exactly what I'm looking for as well- I'm wondering how well these work for online gaming on an xbox 360. I'm currently just running a long ugly CAT5 cable from my router to the Xbox, but something like this might do the trick- if the speeds are high enough- as long as the speed doesn't fluctuate like wireless, I might consider getting a pair...

-Dennis

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Dennis,
    We use these in my office and I get pretty much the same speed on the Internet with the computers connected by these as the one connected hard wire and they add practically no lag at least by the tests at speednet .com.

Max

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

But they do tend to send repeat packets of data. :D

6. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

I use them for my XBOX 360. They are great! Plug one next to your cable modem and the other in another room and plug it in and it's just as fast as having a dedicated CAT-5 wired through your walls. I even tested it on a PC on the other side of our house and the speed was incredible! Downloads were fast with no dropped connections. I would highly recommend these over wireless anyday.

F5D4070.jpg

I use the Belkin Powerline model. Make sure you get TWO since only one comes in the box.

7. Jeff

Jeff New Member

They tend to work well but you probably won't get near the speed limits rated but considering that a typical internet connection is way slower that isn't a problem.

Jeff

8. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Actually, speed is pretty important because I stream HD content from my HTPC to other PCs on the home network. That's why I'm looking at one that is rated at a higher speed (85). It looks like most of these adapters are rated at either 14Mbps, 85Mbps, or 200MBps. I doubt they yield anything near that, but even half of the 85 would be more than enough for my needs.

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

I think the goal for gaming and streaming video is exactly the same- consistent data rate- so as long as packets go to and fro without delays, the gaming experience and streaming video should both be seamless (provided the data rate is high enough to handle the video stream).

I might give these a try- anything is worth getting rid of that ugly black ethernet cable running from upstairs to downstairs exposed. :lol:

-Dennis

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

A little off topic but does anyone know when HDMI over UWB is going to be a reality and is it going to work?