1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ethical Innovation

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by capsuleri, Jun 13, 2017.

1. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

https://www.wired.com/story/innovation-ethically/

"Increasingly, the people and companies with the technological or scientific ability to create new products or innovations are de facto making policy decisions that affect human safety and society. But these decisions are often based on the creator’s intent for the product, and they don't always take into account its potential risks and unforeseen uses....."

"Who gets to control innovation is a central question of our time. Should society let technological prowess or scientific brilliance determine who makes decisions that may affect all humanity in profound ways?"

Interesting article. May also want to listen to the interview with Biz Stone (ex Twitter)

Ethics & Entrepreneurship

When I was an undergraduate Pharmacy student one of my Professors said - if you go into R&D or manufacturing remember your mistake can kill many people before it can be corrected. He also said people trust the cheapest aspirin tablet to cure their aches 100% of the time but not even their Rolls Royce.

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I wrote a long post about this, then deleted it. In the end each new technology and break-thru will be debated individually and limits set according to the customs and laws of each society. When it become widely available, laws regarding human genetic modification will be different in the US than India or Poland. That will be the case with every new technology and not surprisingly, it the same way it is done now.

The exception will be when something happens that cannot be contained or limited by borders or governments. That will likely be something biological, self-replicating nanites, for example, or maybe a viral vector that eradicates the HIV retro-virus by infecting human it comes in contact with and making them a carrier.

3. capsuleri

That's sounds scary - what if a country decides they will create a super race or weaponize a staple food item such as wheat? I'd rather see all genetic modification experiments be governed by a set of strong internationally agreed rules and treaty.

Is innovating a weapon of war an ethical innovation? Or weaponizing an otherwise useful innovation ethical?

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

And that may be the case when it reaches that point. But I doubt it would be something completely new. I expect it will be in the framework of something like the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty or perhaps an agency of the UN.

I'm not saying those are good solutions, just that I think that's what we'll get. In the end I suspect it will be like the current situation WRT nuclear weapons development. The major nuclear powers try to keep everyone else from getting them.

5. capsuleri

That the non-nuclear states claim is to maintain their hegemony and bully them to acquiesce to the self serving demands of the nuclear powers. USA and USSR/Russia have reduced the nuclear stockpiles but only to destroy the world 15 times over from the previous 30. I know we are getting off topic but it is related to ethics.