F4: Silver Surfer

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by stephenj, Jun 15, 2007.

1. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Saw this today against my better judgment (i thought the first F4 movie was shite) and ... my better judgment was right. Very boring, no chemistry amongst the "team", an absurd villain, a US general who is stupid even by hollywood standards, and gags that can be spotted a mile away = one turgid movie.

Plus, the F4 makeup artists accomplish the seemingly impossible: they make jessie alba look, well, ordinary.

Only saving grace is that it barely clocks in at an hour and 25 minutes, so at least the agony isn't prolonged.

2/10 stars

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Sorry dude....

The first one looked like a turd and I avoided it...this one looked like it had turd splashed all over it too, so I will avoid..not even a rental on either of them.

3. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Turd or not, I have to see it (and am looking forward to it).

4. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Ok, but don't say you didn't get fair warning. :)

5. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Who cares about the movie?! How does Jessica look?? :p

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

A reviewer actually pointed out how "bland" she looked in this flick.

7. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

er, i mentioned that - not particularly good.

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

Now Chris, she is the invisible girl you know. :)

Pete

9. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Saw this too (free screening) and it was better than the first one, but that's not saying much. Alot of fans are upset about the way Galactus was portrayed in the movie as a cosmic storm cloud and not as he appears in the comics (which might look abit silly anyway).

10. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I was thinking that we would end up with a Nova, but we didn't get it. It was better than the first and since I was expecting a real shitty movie, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Not a good film, but it has its moments of entertainment.

These guys need to find something tangible to fight. Their action sequences are soooo underwhelming.

11. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Caught this yesterday. Not bad but not great. Better than the first one. I thought Jessica Alba looked "off" with those way too blue eyes and the way too blond hair. Just didn't suit her. I still think Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis are perfect for their roles. Ioan Gruffold is ok at Mr. Fantastic but Julian McMahon is not a very good Dr. Doom. I though the Fantasticar being a Dodge and looking nothing like any Dodges on the market was rather lame. Definiately better than the first and kept at a nice short 1.5 hours.

12. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Also ...

[spoiler:3c66b0273d]What are they gonna do with that big friggin' hole the Silver Surfer made? Did that go completely through the whole planet? I don't know about you, but I'm tired of super heroes messin' up our planet that us taxpayers gotta pay to fix. Ghost Rider is a good example. His bike tore up the city streets and buildings - yet we call him a hero? :? [/spoiler:3c66b0273d]

13. RickG

RickG New Member

I saw it on Friday in a newly-equipped DLP screen at our local Edward's. Unfortunately the sound system wasn't new, but I only noticed the blown surround speaker every once in a while.

As to the movie, I enjoyed it overall. I thought it was worth a matinee, but it wasn't a great movie. Alba's sex appeal wasn't played up the way alot of films do, which I respect (even if I am a little disappointed :) )so I guess that might qualify as bland.

As to Galactus, my friend that I saw it with and who is far more into comics than I remarked that this was the "ultimates" version of Galactus, which I am unfamiliar with and I guess others are as well.

14. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I saw it Sunday. It was OK, I was hoping it would be better. It seemd a little short to me, and I'm hoping there may be longer version on DVD.

On a side note, they had a preview for Transformers and it looked like a great summer popcorn flick (I had a smile on face watching the preview on the big screen).

-John

15. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I'll catch it on HBO just see Miss Alba Mitten.......One Day......I hope....Not going to happen.

16. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Well hey, you're in luck. Jessica Alba wants no-strings sex.

17. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

'Fantastic Four' rides US$57M wave to top

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...17/fan_four_070617/20070617?hub=Entertainment

Jason

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," $57.4 million.

2. "Ocean's Thirteen," $19.1 million.

3. "Knocked Up," $14.5 million.

4. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," $12 million.

5. "Surf's Up," $9.3 million.

6. "Shrek the Third," $9 million.

7. "Nancy Drew," $7.1 million.

8. "Hostel: Part II," $3 million.

9. "Mr. Brooks," $2.8 million.

10. "Spider-Man 3," $2.5 million.

18. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

The Friday to Saturday drop on FF shows that word of mouth is bad. We could see people leaving shaking their heads with how bad they thought it was. We're dumping it as fast as we can, though we're committed to 2 weeks as a minimum.

19. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

Jessica, you had me at "No strings sex" :lol: :lol:

Who cares about the box office numbers, I stopped reading everything after CJ's post. :lol: