1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Fidget Spinners

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by GHilinski, May 5, 2017.

1. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Ok, everyone in the office has these things. When did this fad burst onto the scene and why? It is kind of like pen spinning but more mechanical.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Someone decided they help you focus by giving your hands something to do that doesn't require actual thought. I don't believe this is supported by any kind of science whatsoever. But there has been a huge explosion in their popularity and an equally explosive and angry backlash, with calling people autistic as an insult or the f word (the other one) for having one. My kids all have one. They're a neat novelty in my opinion but I don't for a second think they do anything to help a person focus.

Part of their explosion is that they worked into the EDC community. Going back for a while, high quality spinning tops have been part of the EDC scene. Often machined out of high quality or even rare materials and sometimes with gem tips, special cases, special spinning surfaces etc. I think these spinners are an extension of that. There are some really nice fidget spinners out there too but most kids just have plastic molded ones from China.

5154963082c522e037a59b4fc2bb59dd.jpg
    J.-L.-Lawson-Co-EDC-Tops1.jpg
    d7622cb17cabe880cbc7235b70c995a6.jpg
    il_340x270.1221098579_orop.jpg
    il_340x270.1209532295_cn1b.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

My granddaughter attends a middle school level military academy and my grandsons attend a private school where their mom works. Both have banned all forms of fidget spinners and similar devices.

4. CJ

Yeah, we got a note home from the school (like all parents...) Funny that they're allegedly supposed to help with focus but are just a huge distraction.

Edit: they weren't banned, just notified us they would be confiscated if they were a distraction.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Active Member

I wonder how often Googling for "fidget spinners" provides some unexpected search results. Or expected...

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Our son got one...

7. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Just another useless toy and a fad... will fade in no time. If anyone needs to fidget to concentrate they have bigger problems.

8. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

My wife (h.s. Teacher) hates them. Huge distraction in class

There's another one called a fidget cube that is nowhere near as distracting and she said has helped a couple of kids. But the spinners are awful

9. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I banned them in my classroom. I quickly noticed students played with them more than they liked to do their work. =Banhammer

10. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Didn't know much about these things so I went to the Google machine. Found this video for a homemade wood spinner.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

They are beneficial for people who are tactile learners. But no, they shouldn't be allowed in the classroom where they just distract other students.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

Back in my day this was my fidget spinner...

DAuIqv1UwAA_5xb.jpg

Barry_NJ likes this.
  13. Brian Bunge

Those are great until the ruler flies off the pencil and hits some kid in the eye.

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I just saw a warning that most contain high amounts of lead, 19,000 ppm and mercury. Their asking everyone to trash them.

15. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member

This was my fidget spinner, likely still have it somewhere.

maxresdefault.jpg

16. CJ

17. Brian Bunge

I saw that. My cousin has been making them on his 3D printer and actually uses food grade plastic for his.

18. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

19. CJ

Hopefully their smart enough to not burn them en masse. #historyawarness