1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

FINALLY... a year of hard work

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by cjd, Jun 4, 2007.

1. cjd

cjd New Member

just went live. Or so they say. :) Still beta, so 5% will get the beta site live for starters, but hey... Ramp up over the next month, hopefully iron out any other kinks.

It's odd, it only makes me feel vaguely panicked. Probably because ultimately it's a much bigger deal than this one site, since this is just the start of a long road. New languages to roll out, new features to add.

Far as we know, it's the first website to go live supporting WAI (that's web accessibility) WCAG Priorities 1 and 2 (there is a surprisingly short list of sites that support Priority 1). Or, at least, the first major site to do so. Assuming we managed to get all the way through doing so. A very solid way along the road to meeting Priority 3 as well, but there are some suggestions in this set that are a little tough.

And, from what I *just* heard, we're already having customers successfully using the site and buying! Ok, so that makes me a little excited. :mrgreen:

C

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

OK...

Now what is the site about and what are people buying?

Or should I know this from previous posts - :?

:D

3. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Mike, I had the same question but I did not want to ask... I usually miss something along the way.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Am I supposed to know what you're referring to or is this some sort of game :D

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Glad I'm not the only one in the dark.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I'll third that. What the fark are you talking about?

7. cjd

cjd New Member

Heh. I didn't mention on purpose, but I guess some general vague notion is in order.

Travel website. :) One of the big 3. Except that I doubt anyone here would be familiar with the specific brand since it was one of the EU sites we launched with. Will take a little more work to get all the features ported over since it was pretty much a ground-up re-architecture. I started about six months in, so it's really about 18 months but given the scope, that's a lot of work still.

C

8. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I have no idea what you are talking about, but congratulations!

9. cjd

cjd New Member

It's a website on which you can book flights, hotels, cars, vacations, etc. Think travel agent.

There are 3 major players in this market. I work at one of them.

They're generally considered one tier below Google and Yahoo. So I *think* along-side Amazon and eBay. Or so. Don't remember the specifics.

10. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Good job!!!

11. chad

You are a man of mystery!

When I don't give my wife straight answers or dodge things I say " Well, I am a man of mystery" when i really want to get in trouble, I go on to say "And since a lot of my family is from Europe, I am an international man of mystery"

12. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

You can't post a link??

13. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I am thinking of a whole number between 1 and 10.

I can tell you that it is an odd number. I can tell you that it is greater then 4 and less then 6.

But don't ask me to tell you the number. I can't. ;-)

14. chad

4.75?

15. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Congrats Chris. Regardless of who you work for it's a major accomplishment to launch a huge commercial web site upgrade.

Let's see, there's Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, American Express, Price line, Travel.com, Hotels.com... and all the airline-specific sites. Used 'em all at one time or another! Did I miss yours?

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I said "whole number". :p

17. cjd

cjd New Member

You got some "duplicates" - and Priceline is, well... different. And not as big (yet - they could get there). First three in line are the big 3. I work at one of 'em. :) If you start naming all the affiliates and co-brands and other types of sites you'd be at it a while. It probably wouldn't be that hard for someone to figure out if they wanted to take the time. Not that the launch is a primary brand anyhow - like I said, it's the EU brand-name. Australia has its own too, 2 in the Americas, and others in other markets.

I am not sure if it makes sense to post a link right now, since the chances you'd see the beta site are pretty dang small at the moment. :) I really wasn't trying to make a guessing game here, was more a shout of relief/excitement and for some crazy reason feeling like I needed to share. I doubt anyone that's not in the industry would look at it and see anything interesting anyhow, you know? I think you'd have to be the type of person that views the source, tries using a site without javascript or CSS, just out of curiosity. :)

oh well.

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Funny you mention this...

I just heard a business news report stating that sites like Priceline etc will soon not be able to offer better deals on hotels anymore since hotels are offering much better deals if you book your hotel via the hotel's website...

So how are you all handling scenario's like that..?

19. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Chris said:
    And if this is so then you have done a good job indeed. Building a highly functioning site that is a transparent and simple user experience is a genuine art. Again I say congrats.

20. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Larry, to use terms with which you are familiar, Chris has developed a system whereby you can book your next Alaskan cruise using your computer and those pipes connected to the house (unless of course those pipes are full of stuff you don't want, in which case you may need to invest in bigger pipes). All clear now?

;)