1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Finally decided to move into the 1080p generation

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Ken McDaniel, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

With a 59" plasma! I am so, so happy with this thing. It's 3" small than our Mits DLP, but the picture is so better we don't really notice the downgrade in size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Congrats, Ken. What make / model is it?

3. Ken McDaniel

Silly me. It's the Samsung PN59D550. It's on the bottom end of their feature line, but the picture more than makes up the difference. We picked it up at Best Buy for right around $1700 with taxes.

I'm mulling over having Best Buy coming over in a couple weeks to do the ISF calibration. They offer the full service for $199. The picture right out of the box was great with some minor tweaking, but it needs to finer color adjustments to make it perfect. I was impressed Best Buy added that capability.

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I have the 58" version. Great TV. It was a huge improvement over my DLP.

5. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Cool beans, Ken! :tu:

6. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton New Member

Yeehaw! I bet you're gonna love it more each day. Congrats.

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Cool! New toys are nice.

8. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

I thought if you chose Plasma you were supposed to buy Panasonic and if you got LCD/LED you were supposed to buy Samsung, you my man have gone against the conventional wisdom. :)

Congrats hope it works out for you.

9. Ken McDaniel

You know, that's what I thought, but the 59" Sammy was sitting next to a similar sized Panny. I convinced the dude to let me alternate an HDMI cable from a nearby BluRay player between the two. The wife and I just liked the Samsung better.

Oh, did I mention the Samsung is a much better looking TV (fashion-wise)? That was huge with the wife. Panasonic uses some pretty ugly plastic.

10. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Congrats Ken! Enjoy the new toy!

11. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

I will give you that Ken, The Frames on Samsung TVs always seem to look much nicer than the other brands. I really dig the frame on their near top of the line LED with the very thin Stainless steel.

12. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Nice pick-up! :tu:

We have the PN58C6500 and love it.

13. Ken McDaniel

Oooh, I heard that 6500 is absolutely wicked.