FIOS HDTV DVR

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

OK got some questions about the HD DVR and am hoping that someone has some answers....

Is there anyway to tell it what format to output? Mine is doing 1080I but is there a way to tell it to do say 720P or Native or any of the stuff my Brighthouse box could do?

2nd, is there any sort of aspect ratio control? Can I tell it to zoom for letterbox programs? My TV won't zoom HD stuff and when I watch Stargate I like to zoom so it fills the screen rather then black bars on all sides or watching a 4:3 picture showing a 16:9 letterbox image.

Any other tricks or tips I should know?

Max

2. Chris White

Chris White New Member

It didn't come with a manual? ;)

3. Eric

Eric Active Member

Go get a TiVo S3 and a couple of cablecards? :p

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I don't believe FIOS does cable cards. Not sure I want to sacrifice the picture quality.

BTW I find this DVR slight better then the SA explorer but still not a tivo.

Max

5. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, my suggestion was fairly tongue in cheek, but FIOS actually will do cablecards. And the TiVo records the digital stream (like the old DirecTiVo's do), so there's no loss in picture quality.

There have been some reported issues with TiVo's and FIOS. I'm not really up to date, but I think the TiVo occasionally acts a little funky while FF or RW stuff. Go do some research over at TiVocommunity.com. If you'd be willing to spring for an S3 TiVo, that is.

Also, I'm not sure if the TiVo will do the HD zooming you're looking for. I'd check on mine, but until I get in to the new house, I'm stuck with SD recordings. :(

In fact, check out this link for a Verizon FAQ on cablecards.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

Press the Menu button while powering up to get to the settings. I don't think you'll find everything you're looking to do tho.

Pete