Fios TV is it that good?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Right now I need to call Brighthouse or Verizon and get cable TV. I ordered Fios net this morning but I am wondering how good is their RV package?

Is it true that the net slows down as you have more TV signals coming into the house? Like if I have 3 HD sets and someone is watching HD on each one and the DVR is recording HD would this be a problem? How bout if 4 other TVs are on SD too?

I know you are limited to 7 TV hook ups and we will be using all of them. :)

Max

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

Not sure about how TV viewing affects your net access, but I'd jump all over FIOS if it were offered here. If only to get away from all analog channels. I don't much care for the quality of the MPEG encoding my S3 TiVo does on analog channels. Much prefer the digital SD...

Plus, I've heard GREAT things about FIOS HD. Probably a little too early for me to be bitching about Brighthouse. I won't really know how they are until July-August. Whenever I close on my new place.

On a side note, sounds like your credit card is taking a real beating with this whole move. I'm not looking forward to that myself. Congratulations though. I'm green with envy. :mrgreen:

3. Jeff

Jeff New Member

The network speed shouldn't be effected by TV. Even with cable the frequency signal for internet and the frequency signal for TV are in different ranges (which is why they can pipe both things over one line). DSL works the same way which is how you can get voice and data on one line.

Plus FIOS has such unbelievable bandwidth potential you don't even have to worry about. FIOS here in Northern Va is actually limited by the network backbone technology (ATM). After upgrading that Verizon will be able to push upwards of 100MB speeds to households which is insanely fast.

Jeff

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well I ordered FIOS TV this morning after discussing the pricing packages with them for movie channels.

Max

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

I would love to be able to get FIOS here, but I'm stuck with Comcast, which has not announced any plans for fiber. :-(

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Verizon has a big campaign in my area to get people to switch to FIOS. Should I expect a significant improvement in picture quality?

7. Eric

Eric Active Member

I've never seen FIOS myself, but I'd be willing to bet that if your cableco still broadcasts in analog, the FIOS SD stuff will look better. As far as HD goes...who knows.

8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

It depends on how much your current provider compresses the signal, particularly for HD. FIOS HD/digital TV signals are compressed less than most cable or satellite signals, or not at all.

9. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Larry, you should switch to FIOS for your internet connection. I wrote some of the software for that, so you know that the service will be rock solid ;)

10. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

...and I'll know who to call if I ever have a problem. :)

Kidding aside, that it really cool.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I know Larry would benefit from all the warez and movie torrents he downloads so I would recommend it for him.

12. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Sweet! Your wrote the intarwebz?

13. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Saurav in ur tubes speeding up ur intrawebz!

14. Set tcp = WScript.CreateObject("VBWinsock.TCPIP")

If tcp.LocalHostUsername = "LarryB" then
    tcp.ShutdownConnection
    end if

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Somehow, I don't think that was funny. ;)

16. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

:lol: :lol:

17. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Max, I think you will like FiOS TV. I believe you only start using internet bandwidth with TV when you use video-on-demand.

- Steve

18. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

Max, the slowdown you probably are referring to is that cable internet is shared bandwidth. I would see some slowing in the afternoons when schools let out but it wasn't bad here. I guess it depends how many are sharing that connection.

I have Fios and I'm pretty happy with it. The HD DVR is a little clunky at doing things but there is a major rework of the software coming soon. We'll see. Picture quality is excellent with virtually no outages. Phone quality is amazing. With analog, the background noise was so high you could hum along with it. Internet service is also great.

Pete

19. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Verizon needs to work on the Fios website. The check availability page doesn't work right. It asks you to enter your street address to check for available service. When I do, it always comes back to the same page every time. Oh well. I'm pretty sure Fios isn't available.

20. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

You need to call them to check if it is available in your area--the online lookup does not always work.

- Steve

(Happy FiOS customer for 1.5 years.)