FRS Walkie talkies for summer camp

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Max Yokell, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Heading out to my second Boy Scout summer cam as a leader. Last year I learned that cell coverage generally sucks at these camps and was loaned a walkie but this year I have learned much from my first venture into Boy Scout camp and am going prepared with some stuff I did not have last year.

One of those things is going to be an FRS walkie talkie. I have started looking and restores I have decided I would like are waterproof, rechargeable, and a charging station. I did some searches on Best Buy as I have a bunch of reward certificates and a gift card so it will be zero out of pocket.

Choices seem t come down to Cobra, Motorola, and Uniden. They all list a 35-37 mile range so nothing really different there, I only need a 5 mile range at most. The uniden is listed as FRS/GMRS it sure what the extra band gets me.

I guess real question is which brand is most likely to work problem free for years to come.

2. jhoak

jhoak Active Member War Zone Member

I have a pair of Cobra FRS radios. Had them for 3 maybe 4 years. Earlier this year I dug them out of the drawer after more than a year of not being used. Charged them up and they still worked great.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Ended up with a pair of Uniden. I was able to use a Best Buy gift card and $65 in Best Buy reward certificates and it came to $11 at check out. Leave a week from Friday for Boy Scout summer camp.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Looks like you already decided but I was going to post that you'd be fine with any of those brands based on my limited experience. Let us know how they work.