1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Funai jumps on BR wagon. Releasing BR player in fall

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Funai release
    Based on Funai's typical pricing, this should be quite affordable(ie cheaper than the Sony 300 which lists at $499. I wonder if it's a clone of the low budget BR player that I posted about a week ago?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'm holding out for a Daewoo player personally. Funai???

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Don't forget Emerson!!!....(do they still exist?)

4. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Heh I am waiting for MS to make good on their promise of supporting an external BluRay drive for the 360 should it emerge the winner :twisted:

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Emerson still exists, but they make a lot of industrial electric stuff. I have their stock, and it recently split 2 for 1.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

I hope you aren't holding your breath :)

7. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Wow! Things are really happening alot faster now ...

8. CJ

Well, its just a rumor but still.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

10. CJ

If its going to be $500 that's not really much of a help though. $500 MSRP might translate to $450 street? IDK, I guess we'll see. I'd like to see $300.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

They haven't ruled out an HD DVD player either but that doesn't mean they are making one ;)

12. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

That just about ends BD's big push this week.

Now the real question is whether they created enough fear to slow down HD DVD stand alone player sales and/or keep people from buying HD DVD software.

Make no mistake that is what this week was all about. Making sure that HD DVD hardware momentum did not translate into software momentum. When all is said and done, the only real advantage BD has is studio support and a shift in software sales would make that (and BD) dissapear really fast.

I think the next 3 weeks are going to be very important. If people have been scared enough to not buy HD DVD it will show up in sales. If the fear tactics failed, then the hardware momentum will continue and the software sales will be impacted. Come July 6th we should have a pretty good idea of how things will turn out.

13. CJ

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

There's an article that I'm looking for now that stated that retailers are reporting record cancellations of orders for HD DVD players as a result of the Blockbuster decision.

I don't think you can measure much on software sales because of the various Buy day pushes that happen on both formats. They clearly do influence the numbers on amazon or such but so far they haven't changed the overall 2-1 sales lead that BR enjoys in overall disc sales.

Also I wouldn't consider Blockbusters decision and Sleeping Beauty being announced as Fear tactics.

15. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

"Record cancellations of orders for HD DVD players"

No fear trying to be expressed in that comment. :lol:

If it is the same "article" I saw it was basically a blog from an unnamed source.

Sony and the BDA have tried again and again to say the war is over to change consumer opinion about the viability of HD DVD. From the comments I have been reading, it may have stuck this time. Now we have to see if they have been able to scare people from buying HD DVD software.

16. CJ

What is this scare/fear stuff. Come on, this is MARKETING, can we tone down the rhetoric a little, please? I have no problem with your message and I'm not censoring but I think the delivery is getting a little thick (unless you're trying to be campy but I don't think you are).

17. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Similar to a point I expressed in a related thread a few months ago, this is just standard marketing practice. One could find numerous similar examples in virtually any field.

And more to the point, if this hastens the end of the format war, enthusiasts should be rejoicing.

Larry

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Ironic that you were the one to use the term FUD today. :roll: Especially since you were trying to dismiss an article that was breaking down the impact of a technology in one of the formats.

Anyway...

The marketing tactics here are indeed an attempt to convince the public that "HD DVD can't win". The intent is to keep people from buying HD DVD hardware and software for fear of investing money into the next betamax (or DIVX). It is by it's very nature appealing to the "fear" people have of backing the losing format.

This is exactly the same tactic that has been done the other 3-4 times that Sony or the BDA has come out and declared the war to be "over".

EDIT: I should also note that there is really nothing wrong with the tactic. It is a solid (and sometimes effective) marketing tactic. But there is zero reason we should not see it and discuss it for what it is.

19. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Absolutely. And we should thank them if it ends the format war.

20. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The format war could have ended long ago if it made sense for everyone.

What is important to discuss is that there is nothing new here. The BDA has made multiple attempts to declare the war over based on this piece or that piece of news. The Blockbuster news in particular seems to have gotten a ton of press. Will it really have that big of a direct impact on those who buy/use HD DVD versus BD. Not really. We are still talking a minority of stores stocking any next gen content, and the online version of Netflix and Blockbuster still supporting each equally.

But it does have the potential to scare people from HD DVD. That is why I think seeing the sales numbers come July 6th will be interesting. It will tell us whether or not the BDA succeeded in scaring people who have been purchasing HD DVD hardware and software into no longer purchasing the software.