gofccyourself.com

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, May 8, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I'm not going to tell you what to think. But if you support Net Neutrality, feel free to visit gofccyourself.com and click Express. Tell the current asspuppet FCC chair that you specifically support strong net neutrality backed by Title II oversight of ISPs.

I submitted:
    I specifically support strong net neutrality backed by Title II oversight of ISPs. ISPs will not self regulate and have already proven in multiple instances that they are willing to engage in anti-consumer behavior.

Feel free to copy and paste directly if you like.

John Oliver Is Calling on You to Save Net Neutrality, Again

2. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

5. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

6. capsuleri

7. capsuleri

If you are writing in a comment - you may want to include the negative impact on freedom of speech by slowing down web pages on social, political issues, local e-newspapers, and adverse impact on small local businesses such as plumbers, electricians, handyman etc.

CJ likes this.
  8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

The FCC knows full well what the negative impacts are. The new FCC head is a former Verizon exec. The key here is to overwhelm them with pro-net-neutrality numbers.

9. capsuleri

Agree. The reasons I suggested - supports need for net neutrality - sorry perhaps I was not clear.

BTW, Ajit Pai - Saurav's country cousin?!! Joking: Just joking.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

No I understand. And I worry about people submitting too generic comments given the bot problem in the story I posted.

11. capsuleri

12. capsuleri

13. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

CJ likes this.
  14. capsuleri

15. capsuleri

Did you know this? I did not realize it was this bad -

...."Roughly 21 percent of US census blocs have no high-speed landline broadband provider, and 37 percent have only one option. This is no choice at all. For downloading data at 100 Mbps, 88 percent of the country has either no option or just one provider.In rural America it’s much worse: More than half of rural census blocs have no choice of a high-speed broadband provider, which condemns them to slow speeds for any service they can get. Even where there are choices, the FCC has found that consumers face significant costs in switching between broadband providers....."

https://www.wired.com/story/kill-the-open-internet-and-wave-goodbye-to-consumer-choice/

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Why would you be surprised?

17. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Agree. The last mile is a bitch in 70%+ of the country. The USA is huge and the market is not profitable for most of us.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

18. capsuleri

19. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I'd first like to understand the actual situation a bit better. For example, my parents live in rural Iowa. The closest town over 1,000 people is 20+ minutes away. The closest city is Omaha, and that's 50 minutes. With that said, they have DSL internet and they get 10Mbps down. That's plenty to do Netflix and even download the occasional 4-5GB HD movie from iTunes. They can go on any ecommerce site with no distinguishable difference vs. my 150Mbps connection.

But, they would fall into the category of no broadband. Hell, I only have one option for 100Mbps internet and I live in a metro area of nearly 1M people. So I fall into that 88%. So I think these stats are grossly misleading.

I'd love gigabit internet, but in reality, I have very fast internet. And I'm all in favor of net neutrality, an open internet, and consumer choice. But we can't compare ourselves to e.g. Sweden, a country HALF the size of Texas with a population density massively skewed to the southern 25% of the country.

20. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

This is all about a definition of broadband. My providers are dial up/ Satellite and WiMax. Highest service is 1.44. T1 speed. It's the option for 90 of the geographical USA.

If broadband is 10 +, we have some serious fucking infrastructure to lay. Serious infrastructure.