1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Going Solar (goodbye SCE)

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Ron-P, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I've decided to ditch Southern California Edison and go solar! Their rates are getting out of hand and keep climbing every year with no end in sight.

After 6+ months of research, contractors and quotes it was time to lock it down and get the process started.

After my Federal Tax Credit of 30% I'll be paying about $14k, installed. It's a 6.2kW system. All solid black, non-reflective panels made in Oregon. System comes with a 25 year warranty, including monitoring. My basic electrical will drop nearly $100 a month and as soon as I pay off the system (5 year goal), no more electrical costs!

Anyone else have solar?

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Active Member

I don't have it but I am jealous. Sounds awesome. Our electric provider does give us the option of getting our power from their solar farm.

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

They always ask me if I pay over $100/mo and I don't so I never bothered.

4. Rick C

Rick C Member

Just my wife and I with a 4kw system. It is a new home that we have lived in the for just 6 months. So far all our electrical needs have been met by the 15 panels.

5. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I had solar put in while the house was going up a few years back and the panels are integrated into the roof tiles. Still attached to the grid (with a bi-directional meter) and if I turned off the pool pump it would probably be around even (believe mine was a 8.6kw system). Not much rain in the past few weeks (this time of year) and my projected monthly bill as of today on March 14th is $19.80. It is more during the summer. Below is a pic of the side of the house from about 3 years back when they were completing it.

FL solar panels.jpg

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

My system is 14Kw because we need a lot of A/C here in the desert. After one year on the roof, my net energy usage is in my favor (the utility owes me $500.)

7. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Is that Solar City that you are going with? Last year July SC quoted me $7688 after credits for a 4kW system.

8. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

I read that the state of Nevada changed the laws to charge solar customers for infrastructure maintenance and the bottom dropped out of the market at the end of 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Congrats to those of you who have successfully integrated solar into your lives. :2tu:

But the real question remains: how does your audio rig sound now?

10. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

You'd think with solar polar, audio systems would sound very bright. :)

11. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Better than ever, but I know it's pure placebo effect because the electricity is free. :)

12. capsuleri

Not just it's free it is bleached and sanitized by the uv components of the rays. :)

13. capsuleri

Luddites!!

The power generating companies have too much influence on their legislature. I understand FL is going the way way, FPL is working hard to prevent widespread solar adoption. Only if they would be smart enough to let their customers generate and sell them the extra at a bulk rate they could save on building more power stations and big grids and provide more reliable supply.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  14. capsuleri

15. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I did have them out for a quote, they were just over $30,000 to purchase a system from them. I do not want to lease, so that was not an option! I found a place close by that sells all the gear, provides the plans...etc. I went with them and hired a contractor for the install. More than half the price of Solar City.

17. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Like Ron, I was uninterested in a lease. I got quotes from Solar City and from Vivint Solar, both at about $15K more than buying the parts and having a contractor install it ended up costing. I got all my panels, inverters and mounting gear from a place in SoCal called EcoDirect. http://www.ecodirect.com/

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I went with Home Solar Dave. Same type of company that you did. My friends used them a couple of years ago and loved the experience.

19. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

That's the way to do it!

20. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I'll be joining the club too me thinks, I have a contractor coming over Wednesday to take a look. Just going to be small (3 KW) as I don't use that much.

I'll let you know!