1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Got my first iPod

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Ron-P, May 26, 2007.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

And damn this thing is cool. Bought my wife and I the Shuffles, we don't need screens or ones that hold thousands of songs so they were perfect for our needs. I love this thing, never thought I would. The best part, my MINI has a plug in the glove box just for it. A simple cable from the Rat Shack and I was all set. Doubt I'll be using the CD player much anymore.

One question though. I loaded about 15 songs and some vary in volume which inturn causes me to have to lower and raise the radio volume. Any way to control that so every song loaded on the iPod loads at the same volume?

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'll bet you are noticing the variable bit rates. Lower bit rates mean more compression.

Once you go this route(Ipod or such), there's not much going back. I have my ENTIRE cd collection in the palm of my hands at all time.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

How are the batteries in Ipods these days? Better? I know they've had a horrid track record amongst various models and the batteries have crapped out way early in the life of the Ipod...

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

Better, much better. Mine has been quite awesome to say the least. I'm getting about 20 hrs on a battery. I had a full battery before hawaii and when the flight arrived in Hawaii(8 hrs later), I was just below 1/2. The more you use the video and such functions the quicker the battery will draw juice.

That's why I bought the car and power chargers. Never leave home without one.

Ron,
    You will soon want to get rid of the headphones. Upgrading them is a massive upgrade. For something cheap, you could go with a set of Sony ear buds for about $35. My wife has those. If you have the coin, then the Shure E2C's are the way to go IMHO. $99 and the difference even over the Sony's isn't subtle. Supposedly the better earbuds make even bigger differences but I think $100 for a set of ear buds is enough for me.

5. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Ron, are you using iTunes to load your iPod? I think iTunes has a "normalization" feature but I'm not sure because I don't use it. That's what you need for the volume changes though.

I rip all of my music at the same setting, yet Jimmy Buffet's "Songs you know by Heart" is much much quieter than any other album. I had to either boost the volume of the MP3 itself or use normalization in order to get the volumes the same on each track.

6. Stefan

Stefan New Member War Zone Member

In Itunes: Preferences - Playback tab - click sound check. Doing that is supposed to make all tracks the same volume. But I don't know if that is just on itunes or on the ipod as well. Never tried it.

Yes, if you are going to listen a lot with earphones - an upgrade is recommended. I have a pair of etymotic noise blocking ear buds and they are great.

Stefan

7. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I bought my wife a 20 gig a few years ago, but she has no interest in gizmos. I put about 180 CDs on the thing and it?s about half full. I bring it to work and hook it up to the computer speakers, put it on shuffle, and let it rip. It?s great having so many choices in such a small gadget.

I bought the E2 ear buds Shane recommended. I?m disappointed in them, both in the fit and the sound. I tried all the adaptors, but can?t make the damn things fit right. Unless I hold them in with my fingers there?s no bass. Yesterday was the ultimate insult. The right bud went dead. Fortunately, I hear Shure is good about their warrantees.

8. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Welcome to the world of iPod Ron.

My shuffle is still going strong after 2.5 years of almost daily use. I take it to work, plug it into some external speakers and listen to it for 9-10 hours. My battery still lasts a good 15-16 hours before needing a charge.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Shane, ditched the earphones already, very uncomfortable....very. I won't spend much on a new pair though, most likely won't use it much, I got this mainly for my car.

Stefan, I'll check that out, thanks.

I've used only iTunes so far, any other recommendations on where to get songs?

10. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

If you're into independent music, eMusic.com is great.

11. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I have gone back and forth on my "need" for an ipod for a few years. After my last computer crash at work, loosing my entire cd collection ( shhhh) I decided I don't want to rip all of my music at work again.

How much do the shuffles hold? I'm with you Ron, I don't need the video screen and all of the doo dads.

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

The iPod Shuffle holds 1 gig of music / files.

The video screen is nice if you want to browse the songs you have.

The nanos hold 2-4-8 gig of flash memory depending on the unit, and have a small screen.

- Steve

13. Chris White

Chris White New Member

That's what I'd like to have, but I want that same capability in a phone (w/ pda and camera). i-phone???

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

I Phone is 8 gig of memory. Depending on your cd collection and the size you rip, that may not be enough.

For me it's not. My collection at 192 vbr is approaching 14 gigs and I have a small cd collection compared to the majority here.

15. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Ron,

Welcome to the "anti-social!"

-EJ