Greatest Sony Quotes

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Mike Parent, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Full List

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Famous last words?

WOW! Just reading through this list.... :?

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

"You can look at the software that they sell. All their licensed kid stuff. So, what we're doing with the PlayStation Portable is really establishing a new marketplace, and establishing, frankly, a new beachhead."
    - Peter Dille, Sony US Senior Vice President of Marketing, on comparing PSP to DS

LOL

Worldwide Hardware Sales (End of March 2007)
    PS2 - 117.89 million
    Xbox - 24.5 million (unofficially estimated)
    GameCube - 21.59 million
    Xbox 360 - 11 million
    Wii - 5.84 million
    PS3 - 5.5 million
    Game Boy Advance - 79.46 million
    Nintendo DS - 40.29 million
    PSP - 25.39 million

4. Drew

Well when you are getting your ASS KICKED, you have to come up with something.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

You mean something like...

And my favorite, immortalized by our friends at Penny Arcade...

6. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I love this one...
    Basically pretending that they put BluRay in there just for the games and "hey, look- at no extra cost to you, you get a movie player too!".

Unreal

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Sony bashers crack me up. Like no other corporate marketing people make exaggerated or ill-informed statements to promote their products. Sheesh.

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

People who are cracked up by fanboys crack me up. Its like they're still confused by this behavior. Fanboyism plays to our tribal nature psychologically. We identify with something and then defend it, sometimes irrationally. You're a smart person David, I'm confused why you continue to react to these posts. Its as if you can't help it.

9. DYohn

An expert opinion, to be sure.

8)

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Absolutely.

11. Drew

Geeks bash on Tech companies.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Young geek men will have pissing matches over tech and tech companies in the same way that young non-geek men will have pissing matches over sports teams. This is pretty basic psychology. Identify a team, defend it and attack the competition.

13. DYohn

Like I said, you guys crack me up.

14. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Yes many companies are guilty of similar faults.

But Sony has painted a particularly large target on themselves in the past few years, in a very grand and public way. Like few other companies in recent memory really. It is only natural that they will be cannon fodder for awhile.

David, I wonder if this was any other company would you have even posted? It is well known to us that you are a Sony apologist. I am not sure how that makes you any better than the so-called "fanboys". A convenient term used to pigeonhole and degrade people in a nice generic way.

I am no fan-boy. I was a PC gamer for years before looking at console gaming as a way to get out of the tweak and upgrade bottomless time and money pit.

I looked at both MS and Sony offerings and made my choice. I held no disregard for Sony because I owned an Xbox. I am judging them on their own merits. The plain fact is they have had one PR nightmare after another for the past 3-4 years.

15. Drew

In other news, different people like different things.

16. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

LOL - thanks for the levity :D

17. DYohn

Wow, really? I'll have to work on that. I believe I am an INDUSTRY apologist, if you insist on using that term, much more so than for any particular company. I do recognize that Sony is and has always been one of the leaders in CE innovation and technology development (at least for the past, oh, 30 years) and I find it really silly when people bash them for everything they do fo no good reason other than they apparently don't like the company. I feel the same about Microsoft, Apple, Sharp, Matsushita, Toshiba, RCA, etc. etc. and will never stoop to simple company bashing just for the hell of it. I have even defended JVC and I detest JVC's products. I guess the reason I come off as defending Sony (like they need ME to defend them) is because there are so many Sony haters these days.

About the only large company you will see me bash is Wal Mart, because they frickin' deserve it. :)

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Well at least you don't have a double standard.

19. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

That is the crux. Everyone probably feels that at least one company "deserves" it.

And I am guessing that most people don't bash Sony as a whole, but because of specific actions or statements (see the URL up top).

I will say that I do not bash Wal-Mart as a whole as they do some things very well. Unfortunately, they also do some things that seem be so hurtful to their employees to be almost considered malicious.

Shrug... if you don't like the Sony bashing on a specific point, perhaps you can point to why someone would be wrong to dislike one of the specific quotes in this thread.

EDIT: BTW... I think you are projecting a bit in your post when you say "people bash them for everything they do fo no good reason other than they apparently don't like the company". From what I have seen here, people are bashing them specifically for areas related to one of the 3 major hobbies discussed on HTL (HT and gaming). I don't think they get bashed here at all for music reproduction.

20. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

If that is your assessment of what is going on here we might as well end the discussion now. Either you have not been following, or are simply downplaying, Sony's recent antics... IMO no major company in recent memory has exhibited more arrogance, customer disrespect and disconnect with the marketplace in general than Sony has in the past few years.

Fourteen-year old fanboys aside, I think it is a bit silly to think that people are complaining about companies for "the hell of it". But "good" is subjective I suppose. In any case I can see where you are coming from on some of the statements, but all the stuff around the root kit and around the ridiculous and/or insulting assumptions on their customer base is pretty sad. Even if that's what your stance as an organization is, you would think they would be smart enough not to make it known publicly.

I am afraid I have no idea why this would be your position. Please explain?

Yes, clearly you are the voice of logic and objectivity... I fail to see how this positional statement is any different than any other...