1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Guitar Hero II - HELP!

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by DustinDavis, May 17, 2007.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Man, I am finding this game really really difficult. What is the best way to learn? Should I just make my way through all the 1st set of training songs (8 or 10 of them) on Easy Training mode and then go to Career? Should I play one song until I am an Expert at it in Training? I just don't know the best approach and I am totally flailing. And my wife's ears are bleeding. And Dead Randy Rhoads is rolling over in his grave.

2. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

By training I'm assuming you mean the Tutorial. I would finish that and then just start into the Easy Career. Don't worry about perfecting each song, just play through them so that you aren't getting booed off the stage. The more you play the better you will get. :)

3. DustinDavis

So by finish the Tutorial you mean get through all the songs on Expert mode?

4. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I think we are talking about different things. The tutorial is pretty brief and just tells you how to play the notes, strum, and do the hammer ons and pull offs.

Maybe you are talking about Practice Mode?

When you start the Easy Career Mode you only have 5 songs to pick from. You have to beat them all to unlock the next set of songs. You only need to finish a song to beat it.

5. DustinDavis

Dangit, that's my bad, I'm using the wrong language. I have done the Tutorial, that took like 10 minutes. I'm in Practice now, where you have 8 or 10 songs available to you, until you do a Career.

So it sounds like I should stick with Easy Practice, learn the 5 songs there on Easy, and then move on to other songs on Easy. Then scoot up to Medium difficulty.

6. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

nah, id just start with easy carreer. the songs get harder as you go on.

7. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Yeah, except I wouldn't even bother with the practice mode right now. Just jump right into Easy Career and start playing. By the time you get through all 40 songs in the Easy Career you should be ready to start the Medium Career. :)

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

I am actually finding Easy hard... after finishing Medium and a third of Hard, as well as scoring 195K+ on Dead! in Expert, I tried to go back to Easy to run up the career score. I could barely do it.

There are so few notes, it is like target practice. I was never good at target practice. But put a few more notes down with a semblance of similarity to the actual song, and my fingers actually move better.

So I would get out of Easy/Career and move to Medium/Career. Practice when you can't get past the complicated sections. Skip the songs with mixed meter at first--I noticed on Xbox Live that you were practicing Possum Kingdom. The mixed meter is complicated unless you know the song well. So since you only have to get 4/5 to get through the first group of songs in Medium, I would skip it.

Maybe we need to have a Dallas Guitar Hero II meet!

- Steve

9. DustinDavis

I know Possum Kingdom quite well so I don't have much of a problem with it--on Easy. I can't do any song on Medium right now worth a damn, though. Not one. When I get in the new house in late June (more news to come here) maybe I'll put on a GH2 meet.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Cool! Then I would play Possum Kingdom until your fingers fall off! :) It does get easier with practice.

- Steve

11. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Steve is right. Just stick with it and keep playing and you will see yourself improve. I remember at one time thinking there would be no way I'd ever complete the Medium Tour and now I'm about 1/3rd the way through Expert.

12. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I did the tutorial, then just went down the line of songs in Easy, then Medium, etc., etc. I never messed with practice mode.

13. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Must hold out for wireless controller.....

14. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

You might be holding out for a long time....

15. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

One of two things will happen. I will cave relatively soon (probably at Costco).

Or... the crapload of games scheduled for the next 6 months will start hitting and I won't even think about Guitar Hero anymore.

16. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Haha..that's certainly the truth. My friend finally caved and picked one up at Costco a couple weeks ago. :)

The next six months should definitely be a busy time for gaming!

17. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

What would you guys say are the "highlights" for gaming in the next 6 months (besides the obvious Halo 3)?

-Dennis

18. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

This is my list of highlights and may differ from others:

The Darkness
    Overlord (potentially)
    Carcassonne
    Two Worlds (Oblivion but 8 person multiplayer)
    Too Human
    Bioshock
    Blue Dragon
    Mass Effect
    Burnout Paradise
    Eternal Sonata
    Assassins Creed
    The Club
    Lost Odyssey
    Guitar Hero 3
    Rock Band (potentially)

Other BIG games coming out in that time frame:

Forza Motorpsort
    Halo 3
    Area 51
    Brothers in Arms
    Medal of Honor Airborne
    Unreal Tournament 3

19. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Whew, I beat GHII on hard last night. Man, I was barely getting through some of the songs at the end and was timing my Rock Star meter to use when I knew a tough passage was coming up. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to play Expert right away or go back and get more than 3 stars on the 75%+ songs that only have a 3 on hard.

20. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Congrats dude! Great work! I remember the rush of beating that Hard Tour. Expert is just...it's just really, really difficult. I think I'm on set six and I've hit a wall so I went back to just trying to 5-star all the songs on Hard. I've got a little over half of them done.