Harmony 650 help please

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by chad, Dec 7, 2017.

1. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

The new tv is going well but the remote just doesn’t do well with AppleTV. Neither did the Yamaha remote however the old Panasonic tv remote did. So that put 3 remotes out. Too many.

So the 650 came today. I use AppleTv for most everything. It runs through the Yamaha receiver to the tv. The Yamaha controls the volume.

The basic setup of the Harmony did a fine job but , I’d really like to figure out how to change the volume while in “AppleTv” mode on the remote. Is that possible? I don’t want to have to change modes each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

It should work fine in activity mode. Does that not work well with Apple TV (device mode)?

3. chad

Yeah I go to Watch Tv, the Yamaha functions are fine, Tv does what it needs to do but only way I can get AppleTv to do its thing is going to devices.

4. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Customize Remote Buttons

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yeah, looks like Harmony does not play nice with Apple.

6. RJ

RJ Member War Zone Member

Its been awhile since I set up a Harmony, but I remember that it used to ask you what device you wanted to control the volume when you set up an activity. You might want to check that your Apple TV activity has your receiver as a useable device and that it is selected as the controller of the volume

7. chad

What I’m doing now is had it “learn” the remote via AppleTv. It’s ok for now but some of the buttons have other functions so it’s kinda shitty.

8. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Huh, I use harmony remotes (including a 650) with my Apple TVs all the time and it works fine.

Like RJ said, just make sure the Apple TV Activity has the receiver as the controller of the volume and it should "just work"

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I use a few different Harmony's and they all play nice with AppleTV (3th & 4th gen)

10. chad

Yeah went back into the remote today and was able to get it sorted. The auto setup didn’t get me where I needed to go. Assigning each button got it there. I do have more work to do with the screen buttons but that’s not priority today.

Finally getting into hurry up and wait mode for Christmas which is nice.

11. chad

Don’t know what I did now but when I click volume up it goes up up up up and then back
    Down. Is my remote possessed?

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Sounds like operator error to me...

:)

13. chad

I thought so too.

So when I press and release the volume it goes up (or down) 5 clicks. If I press and hold then release it doesn’t skip 5.

So I went into the remote thinking a repeat feature must of been cranked up, nope. So unless there’s some setting buried in the Yamaha receiver I’m at a loss.

14. DYohn

According to the web the 650 can only be programmed for five devices and if you try to go beyond that behavior becomes erratic. Do you have more than five things in your system? If not then I recommend resetting all your activities using the remote software. If that doesn’t work you remote may be toast.

15. chad

Nah it’s just set up for
    AppleTv, the TV and receiver.

16. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I wonder if you manually learned that command and literally taught it that sequence?

17. chad

Well I don’t know how I would of pulled that off but it’s not out of the question lol

I just confirmed with the Yamaha remote - it only goes one click at a time. The harmony goes one click at a time in device mode, but in watch tv mode it goes 5 clicks.

I won’t get to do anymore with it until later in the week, no time for fun on work days.

18. DYohn

I assume you use the MyHarmony remote software? Just delete and reenter the activity. Make sure the device to control the volume is the receiver. You should not have to manually learn anything for such a setup. It's the manual entries that are causing you grief.

19. chad

Ok got the volume button fixed.

New little thing. I got a AppleTv 4K yesterday. The harmony does fine for general use. Only thing I can’t work out is the progress bar during a show. Used to be, I’d push “up” for a progress bar or “down” to get a timeline. That doesn’t work anymore... I’d like it to. Any ideas?

20. RJ

RJ Member War Zone Member

I'd say your up and down button need to be "told" that that is what you want it to do.
    You can check in the Harmony software what each button is assigned to do for each activity