1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone Heard the HSU MBM - 12 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Christopher Saunders, Jun 17, 2007.

1. I like the concept of nearfield placement of subwoofers. I experienced this once, a long time ago. I thought it sounded great. I may pick up the MBM-12 for myself. Current owner's of HSU can get at least $50 off of the price of the MBM-12. Dr. Hsu can be contacted directly about a variety of matters.

Dr. Hsu drives a BMW, and so does Peter Marcks.

All the Best

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Its an intriguing concept at least for a commercial product. I'll be curious what you think about it.

3. cjd

cjd New Member

Nearfield simply lowers the strain on the driver(s) since you gain that much more SPL at any given input power level, potentially avoid baffle step issues... - all sorts of gains from a real nearfield layout.

I'm most intrigued by how the brain processes signal, and why this seems to be something at least one paid reviewer found good...

No way would I be going ported for something like this. A nice 10" sub (those Dayton RS265-HF might be sweet in this setup) sealed will cover the range proposed quite well.

I'm also curious how the hell you'd configure this for multiple users (move from 2" to 4" away and you lose 6dB... 4 to 8, another 6... so get heads 24 inces apart on a couch, what do you do? One for each listener? How the hell do you balance that?) - and how you'd balance the system in general.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Chris, you covered all my concerns.