1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Have you ever given away or accepted a copy of a music cd?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Alfer, Jun 13, 2007.

?

Have you given away or accepted a copy of a cd?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Meaning in your lifetime have you EVER made a copy of a music cd and given it to a friend/co-worker/family member etc. or made someone a copy of a homemade party mix of music from audio cd's and listened to it?...

Along the same line of thought, have you been given a copy of ANY music cd/mix cd from friends/co-workers/family etc and listened to it?

Be honest.

If you've done it even once, you must vote "yes".

2. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

Yes, I've made compilations to give to friends, usually along the lines of "Listen to this - you'll love the rest of their albums too."

I've also had copies given to me to listen to. If it was something I liked, I've usually purchased it. If I didn't like it, I'd either give it back or toss it.

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom New Member

I have given and received compilations. Mostly for evaluation type scenarios. I have an Ozzy cd a buddy made for me that I am going through so I can decide what I want to buy.

4. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Received one copy only. Liked the artist so much I've bought all the cd's she's done. Never given away a copy. Don't make them.

5. cjd

cjd New Member

So, first one that comes to mind is the CD we made of my sister's senior recital. I also produced a CD for a good friend (he was also the performer in this case).

My sister also had some out of print CD's stolen that I also have a copy of, so we replaced the missing discs.

When I went away to school I also received tape versions of some favorite LP's in the family collection.

I've never given away mix CD's (or plain copies) or tapes that I can remember. Not received any beyond those mentioned, either.

But I have to say "yes" according to the rules.

C

6. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Accepted... sis-in-law's then-bf made a bunch of CD copies for all of us as Christmas presents one year... said he wanted to expand our musical horizons or something. So anyway, I thought lecturing him on intellectual property over a Christmas gift was a little tacky :)

7. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Made copies and accepted copies and still, I sleep well each night.

:p

8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Nope. I didn't even own a CD burner until about 2 years ago and most of the people I hang with weren't into music as much as I was/am.

At one time I was heavy into making my own mix tapes from vinyl, so much so that I had a cassette recorder with dbx noise reduction built-in. (dbx was much better than Dolby.) I don't recall every giving away (or selling) any of the tapes, either.

9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes.

How many people have NOT because they lack the means to (no computer, no burner, no friends)?

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Of course. Many times. Does that make it right? No.

11. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I might even do it again because I am evil incarnate.

Shudder.

:twisted:

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

13. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

No.

But I've made lots of them for the garage. And they are still there.

Back in the day, we used to make tape (reel to reel & casette) copies of LP's all the time. And you were smart to tape albums as it saved wear on the records. Hell the radio stations had "Sunday Album Nite" when they would play whole album sides w/o ads so you could easily tape them. A good reel to reel deck sounded as good as a record.

14. Chris White

Chris White New Member

CD - No. Cassette - Yes. Teenage years. :)

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

22 of us lawbreakers and counting....:)

16. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Yes. But don't count me as a lawbreaker -- it's legal. ;)

Have a few mixed CDs lying about. From pre-MP3 player days when you wanted to bring music to the cottage, but didn't want to bring 100 CDs.

Graeme

17. Scott Hudson

Scott Hudson New Member

Never made a cd for anyone.
    Received a grand total of two copied CD's (one was from a wedding and is quite a cliche tacky sappy mix of songs I would NEVER purchase or listen to :) )

As for tapes... well in my youth let's just say the movie "High Fidelity" rang quite true for me... :)

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Received a copy of a CD from the brother-in-law (for my daughter). Actually my wife received it, but I counted it anyway.

After the long discussion on copyrights, respect for the artists, etc. they don't bother doing us the "favor" of burning us a copy of their CDs anymore. :)

19. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Yes. Made copies of jazz CDs for Dad. Don't feel bad, spent $15 - $20 on the originals.

20. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Wow ... let's just make another poll: Have you ever lied about ANYTHING in your life? :D