1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

HBO's "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by DYohn, May 30, 2007.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Here is a review written by a Lakota student at UC Berkeley. I watched the movie on HBO and have to say I agree with many of her points. Reprinted here with permission.

2. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I don't have time to post since I have to go and pick up my son at Tae kwon do. But I did watched the whole movie and I have some thoughts.

3. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

OK, here is my take. I was really disappointed. I thought Adam Beach performance was fantastic, but other than that there isn't much to talk about.

It felt like the white man telling and making a movie about native americans.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Thanks Jerry. I agree completely.

5. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

I don't have HBO, so I'll most likely never see this one, but it doesn't sound like much of a loss.

This was a must-read when I was in high school back in the 70s and it's a shame that it got botched. The strange thing is that the screenwriter took what I think is the right approach to such a broad subject (the best movie bio of all time, Patton, took that approach) by focusing on several key moments instead of trying to include everything. That review pretty much nails where he got his approach and adaptation wrong, however.

6. Marty Milton

Marty Milton New Member

Most of the reviews have not been good, so I have not watched this, yet. If it is showing some night late at night, and I can stay awake, I might watch it. It is not a priority for me, though.