1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

HD Media retail display looked great!

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by DYohn, May 21, 2007.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I was in a Fry's Electronics in Santa Clara today and was surprised to find both HD-DVD and BluRay Disc displays set up and showing actual disc footage on 1080p displays, and the displays actually looked like they might have been set up properly. They were almost side by side, at aisle ends separated by one aisle (such as aisle 3 and 5.) I could stand back and watch them both. I must say that both looked impressive indeed and I wished they could have both been showing the same title. :)

Speaking of they had a nice selection of titles available with HD-DVD discs selling for $19.99 and up and BRD selling for $24.95 and up. There was also a BRD promotion going with "buy two get one free." I quickly checked the player pricing and it looked like they had the new Toshiba A2 for $399 and the Samsung BD-1000 for $499. They also had Sony and Phillips BRD players with the Sony BD1 priced at $899. No universal players in evidence.

I was surprised and impressed that they had both setup nicely. Maybe these things will take off. :)

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Come Xmas we may start seeing if this is true or not...:)

3. Shane

Shane Active Member

I can report that Circuit City had both HD and BR right as you walked into the door each wired up to a flat panel display prominently displaying a girth of titles along with clips of their top titles.

I haven't been to Best Buy yet but atleast at CC, they have given HD the same treatment that BR has been getting.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

My local BB has a crap load of titles for both, an entire isle for just hi-def. But I have not ventured deeper into the blue to see if their displays are set-up or not.

Oh, make no mistake, they will. It's just a slow process but it is the next step for hi-def viewing at home and it will do nothing but grow.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

So can I assume that you as usual thought the demo's looked horrible and did nothing to help the format, nor should they be used to determine how good or bad either format really is?? :wink:

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yup. Neither look nearly as good as it does at home. They still "pop" and look good enough to convince folks to get them in the house.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Excellent..I'll have to go by and see the revamped layouts...

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I still don't get this argument. DVDs and HDTV look like shit in the stores too. The TVs are calibrated HORRIBLY regardless of what the source is yet people still buy DVD players and HDTVs so its certainly possible that a display can be crappy and still sell product. I'm not sure why someone would continue to insist otherwise.
    :thinking: :shrug: :coffee:

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

All the HD/Blu displays I've seen look incredibly lifelike...unlike the old days when they had just CRT big screens cranked all the way up to show a movie etc. So I'm just saying that to say that these displays are so bad that one cannot walk in and say compare it's quality to say an HDTV signal is a bit off base ...at least in my book.

The main reason I brought it up is because many completely discount the store displays as a way to compare picture qualities to other formats such as HDTV etc...

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

p.s. No "arguing" from me.....just having a light hearted discussion.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

If they look that good in-store, imagine what it would look like if you actually set it up at home.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

No doubt...in a few years I'm sure I'll be enjoying the winning format on my main system. :D

13. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

What if there isn't a clear winner by then? Your statement just made me wonder. Isn't there a chance both could continue for years?

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Impossible to know, but sheesh, if something like downloading of HD movies via say cable boxes, PPV HD movies, or internet movie downloads (HD itunes for example) etc takes off, plastic discs may fade out like cd's are....but I still think there are several several more good years left....

SD is more than adequate for our family needs now, so I'm willing to save up and watch the battle from the sidelines.