1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

here ya diesel hybrid announcement

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Jerry Pease, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time.

Source > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7656

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

EU cycle? The Km?

3. Imperial gallon I presume

4. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Only 58mpg on a diesel hybrid? It's pretty easy to get a jetta or Beetle to get 50mpg with a straight TDI. Adding a hybrid should result in much better mileage. Probably the weight of the batteries offsetting the fuel gains. Add in the expense and issues of the batteries and i'd just take a regular TDI.

5. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

That's on a 'euro cycle', which is kind of like how the EPA does highway/city MPG numbers, they have some set cycle they run the car through.

To get a good comparison find out the european cycle numbers for the TDI cars you mentioned, then compare. 58MPG may be VERY good, or may indeed be nothing special, hard to say without knowing.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

7. What!!!

1 Imperial gallon ~= 1.2 US gallons

58.29 mpg us X 1.2 ~= 70 mpg imperial

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Guys, you're missing the point. The euro cycle refers to the TEST method. The 70 mpg to 58mpg gallon is just a translation to US miles and gallons but its still using their testing methodology. Under our EPA testing method it might be 65 MPG or more who knows.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Considering the added cost it doesn't seem worth it. 50mpg on a TDI low sulphur diesel vs more $$$$$$ for ~ 10-15% increase in mileage seems like a bad deal unless you are an environmentalist.

10. Zak

My thoughts exactly Shane. If you visit diesel forums you'll find people in there obsessed with fuel mileage and really pushing the limits of friction loss, driving skills etc. I've read reports and see test results on there where people are getting well voer 60, some times in the 70's mpg in VW's. But that is usually cruising at 45-50mph, using tires with very low rolling resistance, synthetic oils and anything else to reduce friction and increase aerodynamics. TDI's are amazing. Folks with Diesel Excursion 2wd are getting 22-25. Not to shabby.

11. Zak

And with the ability to run either SVO or biodiesel, that really is a great way to go. Nothing like burning recycled cooking oil, though the exhaust smells a bit like french fries.